Verify Binary vs Verify Quick

Roman

Verify Binary vs Verify Quick

Post by Roman »

What is the difference between Verify Binary and Verify Quick?
When I perform Verify Binary I would have thought it would have been a more exhaustive verification than Verify Quick but this does not appear to be the case. If I perform a binary verification on some folders no discrepancies are reported. If I perform a quick verification on the same folder mismatches are reported. See this YouTube video so see what I mean: https://youtu.be/cHwamNUpuf4
Am I misunderstanding how the verification process works?
Hert

Re: Verify Binary vs Verify Quick

Post by Hert »

The Folder and File Management manual explains this. See below.

Here's a copy
VerifyFolder.png
VerifyFolder.png (273.74 KiB) Viewed 118 times

Since you get changes with Verify Quick, the file dates are changed by another tool (or OS) since PSU last imported these files. Verify Folder Binary verifies the binary signature of the files, and that didn't report changes so the files are identical to how PSU last read it.

In general, Verify Folder Quick should be sufficient (and fast). The binary verification is slower but more extensive because for every file a signature will be calculated and compared to what is stored in the catalog.
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message
Roman

Re: Verify Binary vs Verify Quick

Post by Roman »

Thank you Hert. I am trying to work out what might be changing the time stamp and/or size of images outside of PS. Is there a way of displaying an image's time stamp and size data as stored in the PS database? I thought it might have been displayed in the image details panel (Ctl+D) but it does not appear to be there.