Searching categories

Roman

Searching categories

Post by Roman »

I would appreciate some help with label searches.
Is it possible to search categories for labels that do not end with a string containing a wild card character?
Specifically I wish to find all labels that do not end with "(?)" , that is do not end with open_bracket+any_alpha+close_bracket.

For example if I had following three labels the search would only return "Paul":
Peter(A)
Paul
Mary(B)

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Roman
Hert

Re: Searching categories

Post by Hert »

What search operation are you using? Upper right corner search bar or the one above the left side Catalog True?
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message
Hert

Post by Hert »

If you use the upper right search box then search for this:

Code: Select all

"*(_)"
Explained:
1. exact search by putting double quotes at start and end
2. * as a string wildcard
3. _ (underscore) as a character wildcard
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message
Roman

Post by Roman »

Thank you Hert, your suggestion helped me a little, at least I now know what the wildcard character is!
If I use the search string "*(_)"@PROP.PropName I get all the labels ending with "(_)", but I want the inverse of this.
If I search using "Category"@CAT it returns all the images in the category. But if I search using "Category"@CAT-"*(_)"@PROP.PropName no matches are returned when there should be valid matches.
Using the search string "*"-"*(_)"@PROP.PropName works but it is very slow. I tried using a Catalog filter to speed things up but that did not appear to work.
Is there a more efficient way of searching than the "*"-"*(_)"@PROP.PropName search which works but is very slow?
Hert

Post by Hert »

1. Search for the text "*(_)"
2. Add it to the Dynamic Search (ctrl+click favorite star icon above the collection)
3. In the Dynamic Search, right click -> Exclude from Search
4. Optionally make this a favorite so you don't have to remember this all
Roman

Post by Roman »

Thank you Hert, that works just as I wanted it to!
PS is very powerful, but I find some of the features I use less frequently a little difficult to figure out at times.