Keywords missing from export

PatrickJ

Keywords missing from export

Post by PatrickJ »

Hi everyone,

I just recently purchased Photo Supreme, still learning the ins and outs, and have one keyword issue that is making me scratch my head - hoping someone can shed some light on it.

Issue description
I have a versioned group consisting of two files, RAW (ARW) + TIF, to which I've added a few labels (some being hierarchical, others with an added relationship). These result in metadata being populated as expected when checking the "Label" and "Details" panels. However things get a bit more confusing when attempting to export either file to JPEG:
  • The JPEG exported when selecting the TIF is missing all the keywords in the "Tag" section (as seen in Windows 10 when right-clicking properties and selecting details). It does however contain the correct title, subjected and other populated metadata.
  • The JPEG exported from the RAW is missing the subject and comment field, BUT has all the keywords correctly stored in the "Tag" metadata section (again checking with Windows 10).
My main RAW editor is Capture One, so just to test I tried to export the TIF to JPEG from there using the XMP created by Photo Supreme, and then the tags (keywords) are all present in the JPEG. I've played around with the "Synchronize settings", but don't seem to be able to change this behaviour.

I'm sure I'm missing something fundamental here, any suggestions are much appreciated! Is there perhaps something specific that I need to setup in the batch job for instance?

/Patrick
G8DHE

Re: Keywords missing from export

Post by G8DHE »

Windows doesn't use the normal fields used in XMP/IPTC etc. metadata standards! It uses a mixture of fields and changes the descriptions of them as well. Also of course Windows metadata is only available on NTFS disks, it will get lost on other disk formats. I suspect there is a cross-check list available somewhere but never found a consistent list myself! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... ab5cb281b7
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)
Hert

Post by Hert »

A warm welcome to the forum.

What Geoff states used to be the case, but Microsoft finally did adopt (some) metadata standards (was it first in Win 8.1??) and stopped using the NTFS streams to store metadata.

How did you create that JPG in PSU?
I assume you selected the TIF and then right click -> Operatations -> Export to Folder (note the keyboard shortcut)?
Did you specify to keep the metadata in the Export dialog?
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message
G8DHE

Post by G8DHE »

Ah interesting I must admit I haven't used the MS facilities for a while but just doing a new set of searches reveals this link not yet had a chance to explore all the information as yet;
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... dd7b2d22d6
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)
PatrickJ

Post by PatrickJ »

Hi - thanks for the welcoming and response! :)

Hert - that is not how I created the JPG, but your method works! What I did was go to "Batch" and created 2 rules:
  • File format conversion (here I checked the "write metadata; if available"
  • Watermark
Using the above to export the JPG and the keywords/tags are missing. But when selecting the file and click -> Operations -> Export to Folder it works perfectly! :D

I assume I need to add something to the batch job for it to work properly?

Thanks a bunch!

/Patrick
PatrickJ

Post by PatrickJ »

Been playing around a bit more with the "Batch panel", but still can't get the labels to transfer as keywords in the resulting image. Using the export function (CTRL + e) works like a charm. The batch recipe I use is:

1. File Format Conversion (to JPEG, "write metadata if available" is checked)
2. Watermark

Any ideas what might be missing, or did I perhaps misunderstand the usage of the Batch panel?

/Patrick