Working with Location tags

afabris

Working with Location tags

Post by afabris »

Hi Forum,

I'm into organizing photos by geography with a Continent/Country/State/City/Location hierarchy in the catalogue. I'm stuck with the following and would appreciate tips or guidance from experts:

1. Auto-assign Location-level tags, based on the xmp:Location metadata. This is different from reverse-lookup of lat/long. Location tags are already created in the catalogue, they need to be assigned to the photos that have the same Location value in xmp:Location. I can do this manually easily enough, but can this be automated?

2. Detect photos that have lat/long metadata (xmp:GPSLatitude / xmp:GPSLongitude), but no Location tag assigned in the catalogue. These would be in the next wave for cataloguing. I've played around with Filters and Dynamic search but cannot figure this out.

I'd appreciate any help.

Cheers!
Hert

Re: Working with Location tags

Post by Hert »

1. Auto-assign Location-level tags, based on the xmp:Location metadata. This is different from reverse-lookup of lat/long. Location tags are already created in the catalogue, they need to be assigned to the photos that have the same Location value in xmp:Location. I can do this manually easily enough, but can this be automated?
Check this preference setting:

Location.png
Location.png (141.51 KiB) Viewed 419 times
2. Detect photos that have lat/long metadata (xmp:GPSLatitude / xmp:GPSLongitude), but no Location tag assigned in the catalogue. These would be in the next wave for cataloguing. I've played around with Filters and Dynamic search but cannot figure this out.
With Dynamic Search:
1. Drag in States -> GEO Tagged
2. Drag in Details -> Image Content -> Location
3. Right click on the Location in the Dynamic Search and select "Exclude from Search"
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message
afabris

Post by afabris »

Hi Hert, thanks for the answer.
Check this preference setting:
What will this do? I just tried it in a small sample of photos with mixed results. I changed the setting in Preferences and then executed a metadata Read in a small sample of photos. For some photos I get exactly what I wanted (PS applies the correct Location catalogue tag based on the Location metadata), but for others it will just clear a lot of metadata tags as shown here for the "Image Content" section, which was fully populated before:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (19.19 KiB) Viewed 380 times

Strangely, it also changes the time zone but not in the metadata, only in what PS shows in the grid. Here is a sample of two images that were in the sample. One came out with the perfect result, the other one got a reset:
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (24.43 KiB) Viewed 380 times

With Dynamic Search:
1. Drag in States -> GEO Tagged
2. Drag in Details -> Image Content -> Location
3. Right click on the Location in the Dynamic Search and select "Exclude from Search"
Criteria #2 needs to be "with no catalogue label mapped to the xmp:Location tag". Is this possible?

Best regards and thanks again
Hert

Post by Hert »

What will this do?
By default PSU reads up to City level to create a hierarchy in the Places category. By changing this setting to "Up to location" then PSU reads up to the Location level to create a hierarchy in the Places Category.
I just tried it in a small sample of photos with mixed results. I changed the setting in Preferences and then executed a metadata Read in a small sample of photos.

As explained above, that is not what this preference setting does. By reading from the file to the catalog, the metadata in the catalog is replaced with the metadata in the file. If these are empty after reading, then they don't exist in the file.
If you think they do exist then try "Convert metadata to XMP" instead. That will convert lower leveled metadata to XMP and so if your file holds this info in the classic IPTC (IIM) format then this operation will convert that to XMP.
Criteria #2 needs to be "with no catalogue label mapped to the xmp:Location tag". Is this possible?
There is no search condition for that.
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message
afabris

Post by afabris »

Hi Hert,
Thanks for the reply. The Location tip helped :)

Cheers!