New version set appearance and offline images

gcorbin

New version set appearance and offline images

Post by gcorbin »

I have just upgraded to build 7.1.5.4324 (Windows 10) and have found a few issues.

The version tab indicators (* & 1) no longer display but the version hamburger menu still indicates that the two expected versions exist for the files, as displayed in this screen capture.
Missing Version Tabs.JPG
Missing Version Tabs.JPG (40.11 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Opening an offline image in the image viewer gives an error message (I can’t remember the text, sorry, but it was something like the image could not be found) but stepping onto the next image and back to the original image displays the image correctly. The images are located on a hard disc not currently connected to the PC (offline image). When stepping forward through the offline images, generally the offline image would display but sometimes an image would not display with the error message displayed but stepping forward and backwards successfully displays the image. Stepping back through the images again randomly fails to display the image previously displayed but again, stepping on and back correctly displays the image.

Viewing online images in the viewer work as expected.

I downgraded to 7.1.0.4306 which overcome both issues. I upgraded back to 7.1.5.4324 and the display of offline images is now fixed but the version tabs are still not displayed.

I am not sure if this is a problem with my PC or a problem with 7.1.5.4324. Anyone else seeing these issues?

Edit Hert; changed the title to better cover the topic
Hert

Re: Not Displaying Offline Images

Post by Hert »

About offline images: there is no change there. You probably disconnected the medium while PSU was running and the OS didn’t deliver a message for that medium disconnecting it. And so PSU still assumes that it was online. After the restart the medium was offline to begin with.

About the version display outside of categories with preference setting for Version Display as “As a set in Categories”.

That is the new design.

If you configure PSU to display versions only as a set in Categories then, as per that preference, they should not display as a set elsewhere. the new display “outside of categories” fixes that inconsistency in the UI.
Before you would see tabs but those didn’t add anything to the display, except telling you that it was a version. Now you see the version thumb with the mini-hamburger version menu that gives you access to the relevant version options, same as right clicking on a tab before, but more.

Before you would see a mixture of tabbed thumbs but you would have no clue what version belonged to what set. That too was fixed by the color bar on a thumb for a version.

In short: you get to do all you could do before, with a bonus that you can now also identify what versions belong together.
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message
gcorbin

Re: New version set appearance and offline images

Post by gcorbin »

Thanks Hert. I didn’t realise you made these changes to the display of versions.

As for the offline files, I haven’t plugged in the external drive with the particular images for weeks and I rebooted the PC just yesterday, so your explanation about unmounting is not feasible. Reinstalling Photo Supreme seems to have fixed the issue, so I can only assume that I had an installation issue and I am happy to close this item.

As for the ‘missing’ version tabs, I didn’t realise this was by design. Thanks for the explanation. I agree the version hamburger gives access to a lot more version control and indeed, I agree this is a big step forward and I like this change. I personally don’t agree that the version hamburger menu functions should be different for ‘Always together as a Set’ and ‘As Set in Categories’ and the version tabs only displayed for ‘Always together as a Set’. To me, it is much more logical to make the version hamburger menus the same (I cannot see a reason why they should not be the same for the different version display modes) and the version tabs always display irrespective of the version set display setting. For example, it is much quicker for me to click on the alternate version tab to access the other version (1 click) rather than click on the version hamburger, hover over the Show Version menu, wait for it to open and click on the alternate version (2 clicks and a hover) but I only get to use the version tabs in one version display setting mode, the mode I generally don’t use. Also, I cannot see how many versions exist in a version set in ‘As Set in Categories’ version display mode as I cannot see the version tabs. I will need to change between version display modes continuously to access all the version functionality I currently use.

I am confused by the colour bar on the thumb for a version which you indicated show which versions belonged to which set. The colours for each version set seem to cycle through Blue, Purple, Brown and Green. Have I missed something as four cycling colours does not help much when I have 134 version sets displayed as in the current group of images I am currently processing, a typical number of version sets for me. (The colours do make the thumb display pretty, so I like it for aesthetic reasons even if it doesn’t help much to identify which images belong to which version set when displaying large numbers of version sets.)
Hert

Post by Hert »

gcorbin wrote: 24 May 22 13:21For example, it is much quicker for me to click on the alternate version tab to access the other version (1 click) rather than click on the version hamburger
That would indeed be faster if they displayed as a set, but you opted to not display them as a set.
I am confused by the colour bar on the thumb for a version which you indicated show which versions belonged to which set.
Every version set gets its own color. It's not limited to 4 colors.
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message
gcorbin

Post by gcorbin »

Thanks for the explanation Hert.

For the new version changes, I will agree to disagree with your new design. I will just switch back and forward between the two version display options to access the full set of version functionality I utilize.

As for version colours, you are correct that the colours are different but you have to look very closely, at least with my old eyes. I missed the colour difference at my initial view.
Version Colours.JPG
Version Colours.JPG (195.57 KiB) Viewed 518 times
I am now happy that there is no issue with Photo Supreme and it is working as you have designed and I can utilise the new version. Thanks for your feedback.