Imported jpgs not showing metadata

Larry56

Imported jpgs not showing metadata

Post by Larry56 »

I've just noticed that all the jpgs I've imported from my A7 iv and A7C do not have all the metadata displayed. The resolution and camera name are shown but ISO, focal length, etc are blank in the Info pane. Manually running Convert to XMP fixes it. The RAWs all have the metadata displayed. This is a new issue but I can't be sure which version of PSu they were imported. Current version is 7.1.0.4306 on Monterey 12.3.1.

I've checked older files and they all had metadata displayed so perhaps an issue with PSu? Anyone else notice this on more recent versions?
Hert

Re: Imported jpgs not showing metadata

Post by Hert »

That means there is pre-existing and incomplete XMP. Not related to Psu. Psu will create a full XMP when there is no pre-existing XMP.
The “Convert metadata to XMP” fixes the incomplete XMP as often created by other products.
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message
Larry56

Post by Larry56 »

Are you saying the jpg being imported is incomplete in the camera in the first place? I checked some jpgs from March and April and all of them had metadata displaying correctly. Is there some setting I may have messed up in camera or PSu that would cause this?

Since I've never had a problem this is all new to me so appreciate any help you can give me.

Edit - additional information.
I just checked some Sony RX-100 jpgs I'd imported via PSu and they too are missing the metadata. I imported those today.

I also just imported some more from my A7 iV and they too are missing metadata. I also have imported some jpgs from a Panasonic G9 but those are fine.
Larry56

Post by Larry56 »

I've been looking at images that were imported using v6 and they are all OK so it seems this metadata issue started with v7.
Larry56

Post by Larry56 »

Hert, I'm thinking there is something with v7.

I installed v6 on another Macbook and imported some of the same photos I'd imported in v7 on my main computer. All the jpgs in v6 import are correct but v7 on my main computer do not show metadata and require the convert to xmp. All RAW files are the same on both computers/versions.

FWIW, As you know, I did have to use a different catalog on the v6 install as vs7 updates the catalog and so won't work with v6.
Hert

Post by Hert »

Please share the files to test with.
I cannot think of any change in v7 that would explain a different result.
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message
Larry56

Post by Larry56 »

OK. How do you want me to share? I can easily email one representative file along with the Info panel screenshot.
Hert

Post by Hert »

1. Take a new insignificant picture
2. Do not touch the files with any software (not even PSU)
3 Upload the picture file to a cloud drive
4. Share the link here

Note that you opted to post a topic on a public forum, so don’t share links to something you don’t want to share with the world.
Larry56

Post by Larry56 »

Here's a link to the jpg. It was just copied from card to computer and no import.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/grztk6glf5hjz ... 0.JPG?dl=0

Edit. I found that when I copied a couple new photos to my PSu working folder on my main computer and then did a Verify Folder Quick none of the metadata for RAW and jpg showed in the Info panel in v7 but when doing the same thing in v6 on my secondary computer the metadata shows for both RAW and jpg.

Main computer is a MacBook Pro 16 Intel running v7 and the secondary is a MacBook Pro 14 M1 running v6. Both running Monterey 12.3.1

Hope that helps.
Hert

Post by Hert »

Thank you for providing the sample file to reproduce this.