Changing size of a dynamic disk ?

G8DHE

Changing size of a dynamic disk ?

Post by G8DHE » 01 Apr 21 12:03

If under Windows you change the size of a dynamic disk by adding extra capacity, is this likely to cause every file to need to be updated ?
Yesterday I noticed that EVERY file on my images drive appeared to need to be re-read, this seemed rather unlikely ....... Then I remembered that I had increased the disk capacity on the server by adding an extra 500GByte to that drive .... If so is there an easy way of doing this or is the signature of every file going to be need to be updated ?
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Hert

Re: Changing size of a dynamic disk ?

Post by Hert » 01 Apr 21 12:48

Extending a drive will not put all images out-of-sync.
Also a file signature is only based on file details, not drive details. There too, extending the disk will not have an impact.

How did you conclude that all files need to be re-read?
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 01 Apr 21 13:48

I did wonder hence the query ...
Every once in a while I run a "Verify folder quick" to pick up any changes normally at the top folder level (years) on this occasion the entire image count appeared to be needing updating for 2021 which was a bit strange, I let that go ahead and read all the files as it wasn't massive (given lockdown), however once it finished I did it on 2020 and exactly the same happened every image needed being read, repeated on previous years and just the same! Hence I was trying to think of what could have happened and the only "common" thing was the fact that I had expanded the capacity of the disk a week or so ago.
Is there anything else that could cause it ?
I might do a backup later and then revert to a backup and see if a previous copy of the .db is the same ?
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Hert

Post by Hert » 01 Apr 21 14:26

"Verify folder Quick" reports changes based on file date+file size. If either of those change then they will be reported. This unlike the "Verify Folder All", which calculates a signature for every file and compares that with the signature in the database. Of course the "Quick" method is faster, but may not suite everyone
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message