Duplicates and Similar Images

jtiasgaard

Duplicates and Similar Images

Post by jtiasgaard » 16 Jun 20 4:52

I bought Photo Supreme after reading DAM and being recommended the program as a replacement for Media Pro. I am impressed with its ability to handle duplicates, however, one thing does not make sense to me. I currently have a catalog of over 100,000 images. It shows 0 "duplicates". However, under "similar images" it has 20,000... many of which are EXACT duplicates.

Is there something you can do to re-run and look for duplicates again?

Also, is there a way to see just "duplicates" or "similar images" by year or specific file? with 20,000+ images it is a daunting task to have them all together at once.

Hert

Re: Duplicates and Similar Images

Post by Hert » 16 Jun 20 10:11

A warm welcome to the forum.

"Duplicates" and "Similar images" are not the same.

Duplicates: These are exact binary duplicate files. For example a 1:1 copy of a file
Similar images: These are images that "look" the same. For instance a b/w version and a full color version, or a large and a downsized version
Apparently your catalog contains 20000 images that look the same, but none of them are exact binary copies.

What I recommend you do is:
1. Optionally empty the Image Basket
2. Open States -> Similar Images
3. Use the filter bar to filter all within one year (see attached screenshot)
4. Select all thumbs (Cmd+A or Ctrl+A)
5. Add them to the Image Basket (Shift+B)

Now work from the image basket. Once you worked through the year, repeat the steps for the next year.

Hert
Filter per year
Filter per year
advanced_filter.png (833.59 KiB) Viewed 538 times
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

jtiasgaard

Post by jtiasgaard » 18 Jun 20 6:09

Thank you Hert!

I have attached a screenshot of an example set of images listed in "similar images".
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.03.53 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.03.53 PM.jpg (124.14 KiB) Viewed 467 times

I cannot see how they differ as files except that they are in different folders? Perhaps there is some reason that they are being seen as similar but are not duplicates as you said...

Another thing has just happened. When I hit "x" to mark files, it does not mark them until I do it 2 or 3 times. There is some strange activity in the bottom left of my program window, but the "x" mark does not get applied the first time. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks!

KeesdH

Post by KeesdH » 18 Jun 20 7:07

Hi, the date of the files is different.

Hope this helps.

Hert

Post by Hert » 18 Jun 20 8:15

In addition to Kees's reply: a file is considered identical (duplicate) when the binary content of the file is identical and the file size is exactly the same.
If you think these files are exactly the same, then could you send me a copy of both files so I can verify them here? If needed, you can upload them to your cloud drive and send a download link to support@idimager.com
Thank you
There is some strange activity in the bottom left of my program window, but the "x" mark does not get applied the first time. Any suggestions for that?
Are these files fully imported? The files is out-of-sync (see the orange dot on the thumb), could be that you didn't let the import process finish. To manually import the metadata of these files, select the thumbs, and right click -> metadata -> Read metadata from file". The orange dot should disappear, indicating that the catalog info is in sync with the file.
You can also manually import all out-of-sync images by selecting "Tools -> Read metadata to catalog for all out-of-sync images" from the hamburger menu.
BTW; not imported yet could also be a reason for not having duplicate files identified.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

jtiasgaard

Post by jtiasgaard » 19 Jun 20 14:32

Thank you Hert as well as KeesdH!

That was the problem. It had not processed the information - so it was seeing identical images as "similar". Now, as the metadata slowly is moving into folder, it is recognizing them as duplicates.

The process is taking a lot of time because it keeps making my mac say "out of memory" so I will work on that next - but your help was incalculable! Thank you so much!