Display full filename

allthepix

Display full filename

Post by allthepix » 15 Mar 20 23:35

As previously mentioned I'm evaluating Photosupreme for managing my collection of downloaded images of church register pages. Photosupreme only displays the last few characters of my file name eg. for Hawridge Par Reg Film 008061836 - 198 of 395.jpg I can only see ...08061836 - 198 of 395.jpg. As I customarily put three dots at the start of a filename of interest I need a way to display the full filename. I'm not so interested in seeing the image thumbnails. I can't even rightclick the thumbnail to see the properties! If I click the Details icon I only see a truncated filename, but this time it truncates the last characters! Any suggestions of how quickly to see the list of full filenames, failing which to see the full filename on an individual basis?

thanks

Hert

Re: Display full filename

Post by Hert » 16 Mar 20 8:42

Hover the mouse over the filename to see the full file name.
full filename.png
full filename.png (204.27 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
You can also create custom thumb info if you prefer that
Custom.png
Custom.png (63.58 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

allthepix

Post by allthepix » 16 Mar 20 15:13

Hert, thank you, that's very helpful. Also View | Grid which gives me a list of full filenames which is even more helpful!

Now I can be more forensic about what images are in the folder I realise that the four images for which I'd added keywords yesterday are no longer included in the folder view or image count. Thinking I'd start again, I tried to delete the folder so I could reimport it but received an error that the database disk image is malformed which is rather unfortunate as I have a very small number of images (1977) and have only been using the software for a short time (19 days into the trial.) Can you suggest what might have gone wrong or how I should move forward?

Snap1.jpg
Snap1.jpg (110.93 KiB) Viewed 2512 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 16 Mar 20 17:23

The message "database disk image is malformed" indicates that your SQLite database is corrupt. That can happen in rare occasions when the power of the computer interrupts when a database write operation takes place.
Looking at the error, that is likely the thumbnails database. Try to delete it. By default you can find it in the folder %localappdata%\IDimager Systems, Inc\Catalog It is the file with the extension .thumbs.db (safer to rename it instead of delete, just in case).
PSU will recreate the file on startup and you can rebuild the thumbs by selecting Tools -> Build missing thumbnails and previews from the hamburger menu
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

allthepix

Post by allthepix » 16 Mar 20 19:06

thanks I was able to delete the folder, recreate it and reimport the images. I still have fewer images in PSu than are in File Explorer. The missing ones have a slightly longer filename and start with three dots to indicate their importance to my research eg. ... Hawridge Par Reg Film 008061836 - 241 of 395.jpg

Surely neither file length nor starting with three dots can be a constraint? Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Mar 20 8:48

I did some testing, and PSU doesn't like file names that start with a dot.
If possible then perhaps you can change the convention to 3 underscores instead of dots.

allthepix

Post by allthepix » 17 Mar 20 9:50

Yes, changing leading dots to leading underscores works well, thanks for the prompt suggestion. A free third-party tool called Bulk Rename Utility does that very easily!