Use custom metadata not registered by PSu?

Username

Use custom metadata not registered by PSu?

Post by Username » 21 Feb 20 21:45

I would like to use custom metadata tags from some images and video which I'm only able to pull out from the files using exiftool and not exif data via PSu.
Is it possible to do this some how?
I want to avoid calling exiftool as much as I do to speed things up and reduce the performance hits.
PSu Server 5 & Postgres 12 on macOS 10.15
PSO 5 on Windows Server 2016

- I'm the user

Hert

Re: Use custom metadata not registered by PSu?

Post by Hert » 21 Feb 20 23:18

You’ll need to be more specific. What metadata would you like to have displayed? And even better, provide a sample file, and a dump from ExifTool and Photo Supreme (use the metadata scripts to create a dump) illustrating which data you’d like to show in psu.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Username

Post by Username » 22 Feb 20 22:17

I would like to be able to display bitrate, framerate, codec, custom gamma, camera name etc.
I tried to attached a short clip and some different metadata/exif dumped files but as the file size is very restricted I had to trim it with avconvert. The metadata is slight altered but not much.

I hope it just me that do this the wrong way and it is a simple thing to sort. :)
Attachments
BMMCC.zip
(2.61 MiB) Downloaded 113 times
PSu Server 5 & Postgres 12 on macOS 10.15
PSO 5 on Windows Server 2016

- I'm the user

Hert

Post by Hert » 23 Feb 20 11:53

In PSU you can use %exif for Exif metadata. You can use %xmp for XMP metadata. You can use %iptc for IPTC-IIM (classic; and deprecated by the IPTC org - afaik) metadata; keep in mind that IPTC classic should not be used anymore today).

Photo SUpreme is an image manager and in the world of photography there are metadata standards. Exif, IPTC-IIM and XMP. The video world is miles behind what standard concerns and all vendors write whatever they like, where they like, and how they like "somewhere" in the video file.

So it is important if that list that you provide is for photo metadata or for video.
For photos, all you would need is the %exif macro command. But for Video files that is a different story. You mention camera name and for photos you would use %exif:Make and %exif:Model or even better (always use XMP if possible): %xmp:tiff:Make and %xmp:tiff:Model. You can select them from the drop down. For photography you should never have to use ExifTool.

Then you mention bitrate, framerate, codec, custom gamma. And that makes be think that this is about video files only. Photo SUpreme can read such metadata for some video formats (again: there's no standard and so every vendor, and sometimes even every vendor model writes their own kinds of fields) and when possible it converts such metadata to XMP. For instance; a video file recorded from an Apple iPhone has its own proprietary metadata like camera make, model, and dates and Photo Supreme will place these in the matching XMP fields.

Afaik, there's no XMP for video files (I may be mistaken) and so there's no placeholder for framerate, bitrate, codec, etc.
ExifTool will dump such information for a fair amount of cameras, even though bitrate, framerate, codec etc are NOT part of Exif. Then again, all ExifTool has to do is dump a set of whatever it finds. PSU doesn't offer a macro command for non standardized metadata, which it can't guarantee that it would work for all files (reminder: video formats are a metadata mess).
custom metadata tags from some images and video
So I'm afraid that if you like to see such metadata in PSU then you'll have to revert to using the slower external ExifTool call.
custom metadata tags from some images and video
For all Photography fields you should be able to use matching %exif and %xmp macro commands. There are drop downs that allows you to select fields from the available standards (Exif/IPTC/XMP) available. And since XMP is "eXtensible" you can even use XMP schemas that aren't natively supported by PSU.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Hert

Post by Hert » 24 Feb 20 7:22

BTW; when only using %exiftool for video files then you can put your %exiftool tags inside a %IsVideo %/IsVideo block. That will save ExifTool calls for photo files