Single-user edition Catalog db file(s) sync’ing

Al_M

Single-user edition Catalog db file(s) sync’ing

Post by Al_M » 24 Nov 19 15:58

I am running the single-user edition on my desktop Mac Pro and on a MacBook Pro laptop. Always one or the other, but not both at the same time. My cat.db is 1.2 GB and the thumbs.db is 22.9 GB. I have successfully used Synology Drive (sync utility) to keep the files synchronized between the desktop and laptop so as to avoid manually copying the files back and forth when traveling/returning.

However, I noticed that even if I make a small change, for example change 1 keyword in 1 photo or assign a single rating for 1 photo, the entire cat.db and thumbs.db (total 24 GB) is transferred. So I tried a different sync utility. Since I own ChronoSync for Mac, I setup a sync task and the same thing occurs. Using up much bandwidth and data for such small changes.

Finally, realizing that neither of these options offer block-level synchronization, I researched and found GoodSync. It advertises block-level sync which should only upload/download the blocks that change, and not the entire file(s). After a test sync, I noticed the same behavior again.

I have to assume that the SQLite *.db file format cannot be “broken-up” into smaller blocks to be synchronized more efficiently. I know very little to nothing about database file operations, so I’m thinking this is an inherent characteristic of the .db format.

Is this an accurate statement? Will the *.db files not allow to be synchronized at the block level? Or do I just need to look for another more capable sync utility? Any recommendations?
Photo Supreme V5 (build 2500)
macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
Mac Pro (Late 2013), 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Xeon E5, 32 GB DDR3
MacBook Pro (Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Quad-Core i7, 16 GB DDR3L

Hert

Re: Single-user edition Catalog db file(s) sync’ing

Post by Hert » 25 Nov 19 10:53

I have no idea how SQLite writes its data exactly, but I assume that it won't be in a "block friendly way". SQLite is developed for desktop use so it doesn't support replication. But there may be open source tools out there that offer replication for SQLite. I have no experience with any of there so can't recommend one over the other.

Maybe a fast external SSD (like a Samsung T5) is a better option to move these large files between machines?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system