Importing Not Completing since I upgraded to D850

tstoddard

Importing Not Completing since I upgraded to D850

Post by tstoddard » 12 Jun 19 15:53

Is anyone else using a Nikon D850? Since I upgraded, I have not been able to import files into PSU successfully. In most instances, the progress bar pops up, moves to 60% very quickly, then stops. The program doesn't freeze and I'm able to close the progress bar panel. Once I've done that, I can find previews of all of my photos in the folders view but they are all out of sync and no versioning has been done and no detail profile has been applied. I'm able to do that manually but I'm getting a little tired of having to do so. I rename and import all of my files to my hard drive using FastPictureViewer and then process them in Photo Ninja, exporting jpegs for most of them. I have an import profile set up in PSU that is supposed to apply details and perform version detection during the import. I've been doing it this way for years and haven't changed anything other than my camera. What I'd like to know if whether anyone else is using a Nikon D850 and having similar issues. Thanks!
Tom Stoddard

G8DHE

Re: Importing Not Completing since I upgraded to D850

Post by G8DHE » 13 Jun 19 11:39

I doubt that its the camera or file format that is giving the problem, have you tried compacting the databases and doing a backup as well ? This checks the databases for any errors or problems, I have found that when the system slows down a lot its cause is often database problems, hence frequent backups are well worth while!
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

tstoddard

Re: Importing Not Completing since I upgraded to D850

Post by tstoddard » 13 Jun 19 16:28

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I've tried backing up and compacting the database and it doesn't help. I need to do some more testing to see if it's actually being caused by the raw files or not. I do also get occasional error messages about invalid values, but that's not very often. I'm not suggesting that the file format is the issue, it could be some change that Nikon made to how it writes certain metadata to some field(s). I've had issues in the past where PSU doesn't accommodate numeric values with too much precision. I forget the details now but it was a field that Photo Ninja writes and uses like 8 digits of precision. It was a valid value as far as the standards are concerned but it was uncommon for software to use that much precision when writing to that field. It caused problems with importing those images. Hert fixed that years ago for me. I'm not saying that that is the issue here, I'm just pointing out that a little thing like an extra digit following a decimal point can have a pretty drastic impact on PSU's import functionality. At least in the past that was the case.

Again, I'm not blaming PSU here, just trying to get to the bottom of this. It's really annoying. I'll take this to mantis eventually but I was hoping that somebody else could tell me that they're using a Nikon D850 and not having any issues, I'd be able to eliminate that as a possible suspect. It may be more complicated. I could be that Photo Ninja is writing metadata differently to my files now because of the new camera or it could just be something that's gone wrong with my default import profile. I just haven't had time to do the testing and investigating. After all, I have a new camera and it's summer and I'd much rather be outside taking pictures than sitting in my basement trying to debug software.
Tom Stoddard