Image Rights management tool

Stephen

Re: Image Rights management tool

Post by Stephen » 20 Jan 19 23:35

Thanks. I am going to post in another thread about copying data from custom fields to labels.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 22 Jan 19 6:42

When first starting to use custom fields, I'm sure that I followed a tip here that these are located only in the PSu database, i.e. private. I now discover they are not. Also, portfolio information appears to not be private either. Unlike private catalog labels, neither custom fields, nor portfolios appear to have the option for selecting privacy!

My fault, but exiftool can show several hundreds of fields for any file and this had never occurred to me, that i.e. portfolio info (I use portfolios named after clients, potential clients, projects and for sorting, would be written to a file. I certainly don't want this info to be available to everybody to whom I send a file. I understand that some metadata can be removed before distribution, but that can entail more work, is error prone and not always selectable.

I have seen that the majority in this thread, (2 and-a-half out of 3 respondents) prefer labels over custom fields, possibly because of the privacy aspect, or maybe not.

So, I need to move all image data from custom fields to 'private' category labels and then delete the custom fields.
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=27480&p=121484#p121484

Now the following tasks have become urgent:

1. How to find all files with custom field entries, many of which are filled with just a yes/no or a date, so not they are easy to guess and I don't know how to display them all.

2. Moving the data. A few suggestions have been made here:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=27480&p=121484#p121484

3. Discovering how to prevent 'portfolio' data being written to files OR finding a way to select that portfolio data remain private.

IMPORTANT: I think it should be VERY clear about which fields can be selected as private, even though the user might want all other data to be written to the file. Their reasons could be for informative purposes of the recipient or also for greater independence of any software application.

A frightening thought would be for a client to see a perceived 'private' field with a description of "Ugly woman in a red dress" only to later discover that she was actually the client's wife!
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Jan 19 8:54

Custom Fields are written to metadata.
It is possible to switch off ICS writing in the Sync preferences for Writing. But there's a trade-off.
The ICS is your "catalog backup in the metadata" and not writing ICS means that you won't be able to restore most of your catalog information from the file's metadata.

Best way to handle your situation is to either use private catalog labels, but I would recommend setting up a share-to-folder profile for customers in general. Then configure that profile to remove your private data. You can select specific fields to exclude from the metadata and your custom fields are also available there.
ShareProfile.png
ShareProfile.png (119.9 KiB) Viewed 106 times
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 22 Jan 19 16:39

Hert wrote:
22 Jan 19 8:54
Custom Fields are written to metadata.
It is possible to switch off ICS writing in the Sync preferences for Writing. But there's a trade-off.
If I switch it off will it 'clean' the data from the files? If so, that could be the way forward.
Hert wrote:
22 Jan 19 8:54
Best way to handle your situation is to either use private catalog labels, but I would recommend setting up a share-to-folder profile for customers in general. Then configure that profile to remove your private data. You can select specific fields to exclude from the metadata and your custom fields are also available there.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. Can I also remove the 'Portfolio' references using that export profile? (This is a V. 4 feature, so I cannot check).

The final point is how can I locate all existing files with custom fields and cleanly transfer that data to newly created private catalog labels?

Thanks