Catalog issues

MacHopper

Catalog issues

Post by MacHopper » 12 Sep 18 23:21

Any Mac users with a catalog of over 30,000 items that works? After creating a catalog, it either will not open or when changing tabs the program freezes.

Stephen

Re: Catalog issues

Post by Stephen » 19 Sep 18 15:29

I'm still using version 3, but no problems here with about 130,000 images.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

MacHopper

Post by MacHopper » 20 Sep 18 21:57

Thanks for the reply Stephen. I have the demo version of 4.2 installed. I am also running High Sierra. I am wondering what file types you have imported. The folders that I have tried are mostly Jpeg with a few Tiff, DNG, PSD, BMP mixed in. I am beginning to wonder if one of these file types is my problem.

Hert

Post by Hert » 21 Sep 18 4:00

Can you try this

1. Close all open tabs
2- Select Tools-Catalog-Compact database
3- Close Photo Supreme
4. Start Photo Supreme

Does that help"?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

MacHopper

Post by MacHopper » 21 Sep 18 12:24

Hert I did as you suggested above, seemed to work ok. But when I tried to import another folder with 141 images, all Jpeg, at 57% in preview building the color wheel just kept spinning. When I checked the system indicated that the program was unresponsive and have to Force Quit. When I relaunch and go to the last folder imported , it locks up when building previews. I have done the compacting as above, but again when I go to that folder it locks up on previews and I have to force quit. It seems to be happening at just over 5,000 images being imported.

I guess i will delete this catalog and try again for the 4th time.

Hert

Post by Hert » 21 Sep 18 12:39

That sounds like there is a file in that folder that is chocking PSU. Can you try to narrow it down?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

MacHopper

Post by MacHopper » 22 Sep 18 12:22

I deleted the catalog and started over. This time I used folders with nothing but Jpegs and less than 200 files per folder. At about 600 images, the application froze again. Apparently there is something that the App does not like in my new 2017 iMac. I have retried several other Dams that I had tried demos of before, all had other things that I didn't like, none of them locked up. So for now, I am going to continue with lightroom and hope for a future update to Photo Supreme that fixes the issue.

Thanks for the assistance.

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 22 Sep 18 20:09

Photo Supreme is probably more strict about compliance with metadata standards than many other applications. Sometimes files with deviations from the standards can cause problems with import into PSu that other applications "live with". In an ideal world PSu would tell you which files cause a problem and why, but that situation has not yet been reached. You can choose to just use a less strict application and get on with things, but you could consider narrowing and eventually isolating one (or a few) individual files that cause PSu to choke and letting Hert have copies; I am sure he would then be able to sort out this problem.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

RobiWan

Post by RobiWan » 24 Sep 18 16:52

MacHopper wrote:
12 Sep 18 23:21
Any Mac users with a catalog of over 30,000 items that works?
I'm OSX and Windows User. I'm using Standalone and Server (PostgreSQL) Version. My catalog has now ~60000 Images.
OSX version El Capitan, Windows 10 - no problems on OSX and Windows.
MacHopper wrote:
22 Sep 18 12:22
the application froze again.
Did you see anything in the system log? A bit more about your OSX Version and Hardware (OK I see iMac 2017) could also help to analyse your problem.

Have you tried to start PSU as another user?