miscellaneous: Laptop vs. Desktop

fbungarz

miscellaneous: Laptop vs. Desktop

Post by fbungarz » 01 Sep 18 1:03

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a new laptop to work on PSu at home. At work I have a reasonably fast Desktop with an SSD system drive and three large HHDs for my images. I regularly back up these HDDs mirroring them using SyncBack to the same size drives via an HDD cradle connected via USB.

Currently I manage both my professional images from work and my private ones in the same PSu database (standalone version). I have been thinking to split that database into two separate databases: one for work, one for my private images.

I have been thinking of getting a new laptop to work on the private image database at home, but even if I split my database the private images will not all fit onto the laptop hard drive (especially not one with a reasonably fast SSD). So, In have been thinking of getting a reasonably fast SSD laptop with an external HDD enclosure, work mostly offline, sync the metadata, when I connect the laptop to that enclosure. The advantage: I could simply use one set of my current HDD backup drives, put that into the enclosure and would have access to those files immediately. Copy the PSu database over to the laptop, clean it up, ready...

I would much appreciate recommendations on that combo - a reasonably fast one that works well with PSu v4 and an external HDD enclosure (ideally one that allows switching HDDs so they can also be backed up)?

Thanks,
Frank

PS: I guess, ideally I should migrate to the PSu server-based database version, have all images on a server, access them from the laptop at home and the desktop at the university. Unfortunately I do not think it will be possible to connect to the university database from home (firewall issues)...
:(

G8DHE

Re: miscellaneous: Laptop vs. Desktop

Post by G8DHE » 02 Sep 18 15:40

The current range of MSI laptops have some reasonable storage these days and the 4K displays are quite impressive, 512MB SSD + 2TB disk;
https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GS73-Stealth- ... cification.
I'm currently using a GS63 range device, the only two factors to watch out for is Touchpad click feel is not the best, also power consumption when mobile means you need a hefty leisure battery if your going to work at full power for more than a few hours (180Watt demand), even with a 100 Watt solar panel, motorcaravan 12 volt supplies need thinking about ;-)
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 18 Sep 18 15:37

fbungarz wrote:
01 Sep 18 1:03
I have been thinking of getting a new laptop to work on the private image database at home, but even if I split my database the private images will not all fit onto the laptop hard drive (especially not one with a reasonably fast SSD). So, In have been thinking of getting a reasonably fast SSD laptop with an external HDD enclosure, work mostly offline, sync the metadata, when I connect the laptop to that enclosure. The advantage: I could simply use one set of my current HDD backup drives, put that into the enclosure and would have access to those files immediately. Copy the PSu database over to the laptop, clean it up, ready...
Hello Frank,

I use a Mac but something similar might work for you.

PSu is installed on my internal laptop drive with a 2TB SSD. All images are on a rugged LaCie external HDD. Both travel with me everywhere. An additional LaCie is used to clone the external drive. When it gets full, then I upgrade to a bigger external drive. I know that these are Mac terms, but until recently the external drive was connected via Firewire 800, which was fast enough and the newest one is connected via Thunderbolt, which is faster. A perfect system for me
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 22 Sep 18 5:49

Morning, agree with Geoff about MSI.

I needed a new laptop last year and after looking around I found that MSI was the best choice. Key requirement was a powerful machine with two hard drives. I bought a GE62 Apache Pro. It has a 256 SSD and a 1 TB normal drive. All backups are done using SyncBack over to my local NAS

The machine is splendid expect one thing, the keyboard. This is mainly because the keys are not where I am used to have them. The battery could have been better but is ok for me.

If you plan to have a second power supply then order it together with the machine. I tried to get one half a year later and had some real problem getting it.

Regards, Harald

Mke

Post by Mke » 02 Oct 18 18:34

HaraldE wrote:
22 Sep 18 5:49
The machine is splendid expect one thing, the keyboard
You can buy stickers for different keyboard layouts that might help - or, if only a couple of keys that you won't forget, try a custom mapping/remapping using MS Keyboard Layout Creator (assuming you're on Windows)...

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 06 Oct 18 4:23

I decided to change to using a laptop from my desktop but I had some specific requirements.
1. Windows computer. I have a MacBook Pro 13 but don't like the keyboard too much and most of my programs are Windows only. Besides, I wanted 15" screen and that put it way out of my price range.
2. I wanted a 15" screen that was 1920x ?? rather than hi res. as I didn't want to squint at text. I'd had a Dell XPS and Surface Pro before and found their screen resolution didn't fit me.
3. A minor point, I've had laptops that always seemed to have their fans going and after while that irritated me. So good heat control with low fan noise.
4. A big point. Large SSD. Most seemed to max out at 512 which really isn't enough when I keep a couple years of photos on the computer. Get done with PP programs, office, etc 512 - 10% recommended disc buffer was a problem.
5. I knew I was looking for a higher end computer but didn't want to break the bank, whatever that may mean.

I ended up with an ASUS Zenbook UX550 (2017) that was pre-configured with a 1 TB SSD and 16GB RAM and Windows 10 Pro. I can put 1 year+ photos on it and use external USB-c drive for all others. I also only installed programs I use regularly and use the desktop when I need something specific.

PSU runs great and all the other points are pretty much fulfilled.