Is this the same thing?

RobiWan

Is this the same thing?

Post by RobiWan » 04 Aug 18 16:57

Hi,

they're both doing the same thing or are they different?
Attachments
04-08-_2018_17-51-42.png
04-08-_2018_17-51-42.png (81.89 KiB) Viewed 529 times
04-08-_2018_17-50-53.png
04-08-_2018_17-50-53.png (6.51 KiB) Viewed 529 times

jstartin

Re: Is this the same thing?

Post by jstartin » 04 Aug 18 21:50

They are different. Remember that 'Labels' are unique to PSu and are stored in the catalog. They are always hierarchical. 'Keywords' are written into the XMP and are compliant with appropriate standards.

'Also assign its parents' controls whether all of the higher 'nodes' in the hierarchy of an assigned label are also assigned in the catalog.

'Include all parent level labels as keywords' controls whether higher 'nodes' are written as keywords in the XMP, even if 'Also assign its parents' (as labels) is set to 'No'.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

RobiWan

Post by RobiWan » 04 Aug 18 22:40

Thanks
jstartin wrote:
04 Aug 18 21:50
'Labels' are unique to PSu and are stored in the catalog. They are always hierarchical.
After 8 months with PSU I still don't really know what to think about it. (fine or bad)
But why do you mean they are always hierarchical? I think "Label" is only top level "Keyword'

Robert

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 04 Aug 18 23:38

When you look at the left hand explorer panel, with it set to "categories", you are looking at PSU labels. You will see they are hierarchical - just like when you look Windows file explorer and see your heirarchical Windows folder structure.

PSU labels are part of the metadata PSU stores in it's catalogue (the PSU database). Labels can get converted to keywords when writing the metadata to the files, but this is rather too big an area to cover here.

I recommend reading the PSU cataloging help PDF, accessible from the PSU help menu, as these topics are fairly central to a lot of what PSU does and it's "raison d'etre" and I'm sure it will help you to "get" PSU if you understand something of this area (I wouldn't worry at this stage about the many subtleties that PSU's power permits, just the basic concepts).
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 03 Sep 18 15:48

To continue this topic a bit, when would I select "Also assign its parents" in the catalog properties of a label. I see that all the parents of a given label are also assigned but when would that not be a good thing?

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Sep 18 7:54

There are as many photographers as there are workflows. Some people like all the parents to be assigned as individual catalog labels (assign parent). That makes it easier to do partial searches

e.g. A tree with
Styles
--- Emotion
------ Happy
------ Sad

If I want to be able to search for all images with "an emotion" then I can simply use the term Emotion in the search box and all Happy and Sad images will be found.
Personally I'd not use that option. If I'd like to find all "Emotion" images I'd click the counter for "Emotion" to get all the images of that label with all the images of its sublabels.

Using the other option to include parent labels as keywords is something that is mainly attractive for stock photographers. They want to have as many keywords in their images as possible, simply to increase the find-ability on stock sites. Those sites typically only use keywords as their index.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system