find files in a version set with different metadata

fbungarz

find files in a version set with different metadata

Post by fbungarz » 10 Nov 16 10:45

Hi,
I wonder if there is a quick, automatic way how to check if different versions of a set contain different metadata. Say, I keep all my versions in one folder and want to filter out/search for all those images of files in this folder where the subversions do not contain all the same metadata as their main version?
I really would like an option to keep all metadata (apart from technical camera data) in sync across different versions. To do that I currently regularly cascade metadata from the main version to its subversions. Still, it easily happens that I later add some data to the main version and forget to cascade. So, a quick way to find those files would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Frank

vkfoto

Re: find files in a version set with different metadata

Post by vkfoto » 10 Nov 16 15:11

When I select more than one image in a folder, the common labels are shown with a green background in the assign panel. Those that are not shared among all of the selected images have a red background. Does the same not hold true for version sets? Haven't used version enough to test this.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 10 Nov 16 16:01

Labels always apply to all images in the same version set. There is a registry setting to set that ratings and color labels also always apply to all versions. All other metadata are not applied automatically to all versions.

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 10 Nov 16 18:01

So if two or more images are merged into a single set, are all previous labels applied to all of the images or only those that are already common to all images?

Since I've been using labels to not only identify locations, people and events but types of images as in: small, medium and large; OOC JPG vs process generated JPG, I better stay away from version sets.

vlad

Post by vlad » 10 Nov 16 18:48

fbungarz wrote:Hi,
I wonder if there is a quick, automatic way how to check if different versions of a set contain different metadata.
Nope, since PSU does not include any metadata diff facility or script. Imho, such a facility would be harder to implement than the actual solution (an auto-cascading feature).
I really would like an option to keep all metadata (apart from technical camera data) in sync across different versions.
That makes sense. Hopefully, Hert will implement FR #2633. Keep your fingers crossed. (However, I've just discovered some rather tricky issues around that request. I left a note in Mantis - please reply there if you have something to comment.)

vlad

Post by vlad » 10 Nov 16 18:50

vkfoto wrote:So if two or more images are merged into a single set, are all previous labels applied to all of the images or only those that are already common to all images?
I haven't tested, but the answer should be: all the labels.
Since I've been using labels to not only identify locations, people and events but types of images as in: small, medium and large; OOC JPG vs process generated JPG, I better stay away from version sets.
You win some, you lose some...

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 10 Nov 16 20:03

However, I've just discovered some rather tricky issues around that request. I left a note in Mantis - please reply there if you have something to comment.
I disagree. No offense, but I think the points you raise are completely irrelevant - i If metadata (like labels, ratings and color labels) are written to all versions instantaneously... (see my comments to FR #2533 http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2633).