force building of missing thumbs and previews?

fbungarz

force building of missing thumbs and previews?

Post by fbungarz » 20 Jan 16 20:19

I have a lot of Tiff files for which PSU apparently does not build missing thumbs or previews.
Using "Tools - Build Missing Tumbnails and Previews" the process monitor (activity panel) pops up, finds 5337 files, but the thumb-building process then does not start. Instead the activity panel then collapses again. If I immediately run it again the same happens. 5337 files are found, thumbs and preview building does not start.
If I go to a folder that contains the TIF files, several images do not have thumbnails, they only very, very slowly appear. If I now use "Tools - Build Missing Tumbnails and Previews" again, the dialog says 5324 thumbs are missing. So apparently accessing the folders, some TIFs have been built?

Is this by design? Do I have to select the folders to be able to use "Tools - Build Missing Tumbnails and Previews"? If so, how does this differ from "right-click - Operations - re-build Thumbs"?
I thought "Tools - Build Missing Tumbnails and Previews" would work on the entire database?
And "right-click - Operations - re-build Thumbs" only on the files that I selected...

BTW - if I access the same folders in travel mode the thumbs have the "missing thumb or image not loaded" sign...

Hert

Re: force building of missing thumbs and previews?

Post by Hert » 21 Jan 16 0:25

Are you running the 32 or 64 bit version of PSU?
Running the build will do the job...but if these are massive tiff files (which I think they are) then give PSU time to process them. After the finding it will start building.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 21 Jan 16 11:44

Hi Hert,
running 64 bit of PSU.
After the finding it will start building.
No, it doesn't.
It only did so the first time I ran it. And you are right, it then took several hours for the whole database.
Now, when it runs, it reports finding 4,000+ missing thumbs, but thumbnail building does definitely NOT start. I can do a screencast video if you like...
The Tiff files are all ca. 122 MB.

I found a workaround to force PSU crating the thumbs yesterday:
(1) switch to Travel Mode
(2) click the number of the upper-hierarchy folder to display all images therein
(3) the images lacking thumbs show up withe missing thumb icon
(4) select all files (or, if possible, only the ones that have no thumbs)
(5) switch Travel Mode off
(6) force creating the thumbs via "right click - operations - rebuild selected thumbnails

It took me quite a while to go through all upper level folders. Most had thumbs, but particularly the ones with the large Tiff files did not. However, there were a few DNG files lacking thumbs as well.

BTW _ my thumbnail database grew from 22 GB to 23 GB during that process. Another indicator that these ca. 4,000 files were indeed missing thumbnails and previews.

Now "Tools - Build Missing Tumbnails and Previews" still reports that 60 files have no thumbnails. Finding those is like looking for a needle in a haystack, though.
Trying to re-build the database from scratch during migration I noticed that a few DNG files might be corrupt. So, for those files it would not surprise that thumbs cannot be build. However, 60 corrupt files would be a lot. In that case I'd definitely like to find these files...

Is there a perhaps script that I could use to find all files that lack thumbs or previews?

Thanks,
Frank

vlad

Post by vlad » 24 Jan 16 22:43

Hi Frank,
fbungarz wrote:Hi Hert,
running 64 bit of PSU.
After the finding it will start building.
No, it doesn't.
It only did so the first time I ran it. And you are right, it then took several hours for the whole database.
Now, when it runs, it reports finding 4,000+ missing thumbs, but thumbnail building does definitely NOT start. I can do a screencast video if you like...
This is a known problem - at least, it is known by me and several people who have experienced a similar issue:
http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=23970
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone reported the problem to Mantis - if you had the time and patience to do it (ideally, along with a screencast video), that would be great. (Right now, I'm not in a position to report issues to Mantis, since I don't have access to my PSU installation for the next several days.)
I found a workaround to force PSU crating the thumbs yesterday:
Nice - I'll try it when I get back to PSU. Still, it's a workaround for an existing problem.
Now "Tools - Build Missing Tumbnails and Previews" still reports that 60 files have no thumbnails. Finding those is like looking for a needle in a haystack, though.
Trying to re-build the database from scratch during migration I noticed that a few DNG files might be corrupt. So, for those files it would not surprise that thumbs cannot be build. However, 60 corrupt files would be a lot. In that case I'd definitely like to find these files...

Is there a perhaps script that I could use to find all files that lack thumbs or previews?
I don't think so, although a couple of other persons have raised similar questions and suggestions.

Cheers,
Vlad

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 25 Jan 16 10:46

I don't think so, although a couple of other persons have raised similar questions and suggestions.
That's a shame. IDI had a script that would easily detect missing thumbs or previews...

vlad

Post by vlad » 25 Jan 16 15:27

Instead (or, in addition), I'm thinking the Build Missing Thumbnails tool could perhaps be enhanced to open/update one or two collection tabs (as needed) upon completion: Rebuilt Thumbnails and Missing Thumbnails, respectively. If PSU also had a special marker for missing images, then the Missing Thumbnails collection would allow us to distinguish (filter) missing images and corrupted (or unrecognized) images, respectively.

(Given that, by definition, the entire content of Missing Thumbnails will be missing thumbs, you may wonder what would be the point of this collection. Well, I believe it will proovide crucial info at least in the Grid View mode.)

Does that make sense to anyone else?

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 25 Jan 16 16:56

I would be happy already, if it was possible to search for missing thumbs and/or previews and then manually update those.
It is just one of those things, apparently, where one cannot entirely trust PSU "fully automatic approach".
Currently "Tools - Build Missing Thumbnails and Previews" quite obviously finds lots of missing thumbs & previews, BUT then the thumb building process NOT necessarily starts. Reasons can be many: the files are offline, the image data of the files are corrupt, the files are huge (apparently my 120MB Tiff's), etc.
Another one of those things is autosync: it works 99.9% of the cases, but ever so often a few images are out-of-sync - and need to be manually synced. Here again, I found "Tools - Save Metadata to File for all Out-of-Sync Images" less reliable than looking at "catalog - by state - Out of Sync" and then sync these images manually.
No idea why "catalog - by state" does not simply include a "missing thumbs and previews" tab. This would immediately show, which images lack thumbs or previews (for whatever reason).

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 25 Jan 16 16:57

BTW - a related issue: Is it possibly to "verify" individual images, not only folders? I mean: does PSU provide for an option to check if a file is still intact? I suspect some of the ca. 60 images that in my database still have no thumbs may be corrupted ones...

vlad

Post by vlad » 26 Jan 16 0:44

fbungarz wrote:Currently "Tools - Build Missing Thumbnails and Previews" quite obviously finds lots of missing thumbs & previews, BUT then the thumb building process NOT necessarily starts.
Nope, it's not obvious (to me) that the tool finds missing thumbs - it is only obvious that it reports finding missing thumbs. The other thread that I referred features accounts from me and others who were not able to manually spot missing thumbs, despite the tool always reporting such missing thumbs.
No idea why "catalog - by state" does not simply include a "missing thumbs and previews" tab. This would immediately show, which images lack thumbs or previews (for whatever reason).
Hmm, that's an interesting suggestion... On one hand, it seems a bit odd to have an image state which indicates something wrong about the image (or the image thumb/preview). OTOH, I think it could be really convenient to have catalog states for:
- Off-line (missing) images
- Images with Missing thumbs
Let's see what others think of your suggestion...
BTW - a related issue: Is it possibly to "verify" individual images, not only folders? I mean: does PSU provide for an option to check if a file is still intact? I suspect some of the ca. 60 images that in my database still have no thumbs may be corrupted ones...

I don't think so, but why can't you verify the containing folder(s)?

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Jan 16 8:04

fbungarz wrote:BTW - a related issue: Is it possibly to "verify" individual images, not only folders? I mean: does PSU provide for an option to check if a file is still intact? I suspect some of the ca. 60 images that in my database still have no thumbs may be corrupted ones...
Right click -> Operations -> Verify Files
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 26 Jan 16 8:46

Thanks, now I only need to find those files that are still missing their thumbs ;-)
Frank

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 16 Aug 18 15:49

Did anything come of this for identifying missing Thumbnails ? I seem to be having the same problems, run first time and it rebuilds, run a second time and there are still missing Thumbnails but without a list or State its a nightmare trying to find them to see what is happening .....
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 16 Aug 18 17:02

Ah OK, found it in the Filter options "Filter Without Thumbnail" !
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Hert

Post by Hert » 16 Aug 18 17:51

In the Hamburger menu, select Tools-Build missing thumbs and previews

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 16 Aug 18 19:12

Yes that builds them, but for those that have corruptions or types it can't generate thumbnails for. Its locating those afterwards which is more convoluted, I've ended up using Timeline and then selecting a filter "Filter without thumbnail" to only show those with the blank Thumbnails, then I can decide what needs doing to them.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)