How do you display your pictures?

LifeIsLong

Re: How do you display your pictures?

Post by LifeIsLong » 25 Sep 15 12:08

vlad wrote:Could you please explain what you mean by "on-the-fly or custom tree-building"? Thank you.
Basically it allows you to define a tree structure based on the metadata of the collection. So in Foobar, you can define a tree structure like: Genre|Artist|Album

Rock
| Artist 1
| | Album 1
| | Album 2

But you can redefine this as you desire. Foobar also has string functions so you can print, for example, the album date as well. The result is a tree structure (grouping) of the objects, real-time, based on their metadata.

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 05 Oct 15 15:27

There are two different scenarios that I am trying to cover in my situation:

1) The home network, where media consumption devices these days are not just PCs, but PCs, Phones, TVs, Tablets, etc.
2) Access to the picture library over the internet for friends and family.

In the days when media consumption devices on the home network were just PCs, then the solution that I had at the time was to use IDimager (now PSU) on my workstation PC to create/maintain the picture collection and sync the collection to Windows Home Server (think of it as a NAS product from Microsoft). All the other PCs in the house (including an HTPC connected to the TV) are connected to the WHS, which holds our movies/recorded TV/music/picture libraries. For ease of browsing/searching the picture collection, we used Windows Photo Gallery, because (a) it understands the photo metadata and (b) it would automatically keep the tag hierarchy in step with the Catalog in IDimager/PSU - and I was using Delimited tags for hierarchical tags.

This approach worked for a while (and in some ways still does), but:
a) As Hert will recommend, delimited tags are considered to be deprecated, so I've switched to the recommended approach of using LR Hierarchical tags. These are not supported in Windows Photo Gallery, so my nice multi-level tag hierarchy has got reduced to a single level with hundreds of tags.
b) Microsoft are no longer actively developing Windows Photo Gallery (even though it is still available for download). Instead they have moved on to developing the Photos App in Windows 10 - which is but a pale shadow of what WPG is (as yet there is no support for tags, for example).

To bring scenario (1) up to date, I'm still searching for a media system that can handle photos properly (i.e. which understands photo metadata and which is easy to set up and use). I'm currently trialling both Plex and Emby, but although these are excellent for movies and TV, and support a wide range of devices for media consumption, they both have limitations when it comes to handling music and photo collections; and the limitations are severe when it comes to handling photos.

For scenario (2), I have used Flickr, but increasingly, I'm using OneDrive. This is because OneDrive now supports tags, and because as a by-product of using Office365, I have unlimited storage.
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 05 Oct 15 22:13

a) As Hert will recommend, delimited tags are considered to be deprecated, so I've switched to the recommended approach of using LR Hierarchical tags. These are not supported in Windows Photo Gallery, so my nice multi-level tag hierarchy has got reduced to a single level with hundreds of tags.
I recently had some discussion on this board why one would use simple keywords instead of delimited ones (http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php ... #p110104)- What you write now confirms my opinion that migrating delimited keywords to simple ones makes no sense despite XMP specifications asking for simple keywords...

On a note more related to the topic of this thread: IDI 5 used to have a hidden "server" embedded that allowed you to display your images on a local intranet inside a web-browser. That was a nice feature to share images easily. Does that still work with PSU?

Cheers,
Frank