Errors with catalog label assignments...

space

Errors with catalog label assignments...

Post by space » 20 Jun 13 0:55

Hi,

I use the term "assignments" here loosely as I'm not sure how else to state this.

Here's the situation. I'm in the process of "importing" my image archive into PSu. Previously most of these images were marked up and keyworded in using the XMP editor in Adobe's Bridge (File Info). Prior to importing to my images, did a fair amount of work on setting up the catalog in PSu - People, Places, etc.

In the process of importing the images and then trying to match the catalog "assignments", there are now huge amount of errors. In one instances, a whole lot of images have been assigned to the "Congo" in Places. I've never been to the Congo and there's nothing remotely related to the Congo in any of the keywords used in any of the images now found under this label. In another instance, while there's a photographer friend who I've photographed on occasion and who is listed as a "photographer" under People, now find half my images attributed to him rather than me. Again, in all the keywords attributed to the images, there's nothing in there that has anything to do with this other photographer.

The question to ask here is this, what and where is or are the issues here?

This is now becoming a something of a sore and counterproductive irritation. If it was a matter of removing the offending keyword, this might be OK. However, there are no relevant keywords (say Congo in this case) that can be to removed. Thus, I'm not sure what to do to remedy this matter? Don't ever recall having this issue with IDI.

Any feed back would be appreciated - Rogan

skwarjar

Re: Errors with catalog label assignments...

Post by skwarjar » 30 Jun 13 11:12

I agree with you. I have similar problem:(
In addition i have a lot of duplicates with "missing or medium not loaded"

this is not funny!

Any suggestion how i can resolve these problems?

jaroslaw

Hert

Post by Hert » 01 Jul 13 13:07

space wrote:The question to ask here is this, what and where is or are the issues here?
Are there? I would first think that this is due to the metadata in your files being other than what you expect it is. PSU won't come up with something like "Congo" all by itself...
skwarjar wrote:In addition i have a lot of duplicates with "missing or medium not loaded"
Check the Folders section. You probably have a duplicate there. If so, right click on the wrong one and connect it with the correct physical drive. There can be various reasons how duplicate folders come to exist, one of them, and the most common, is when you've replaced the hard drive.

Other reasons (but that is when you are using a converted database) is that you skipped the question to attach a specific drive during the database conversion. Or the duplicate may already have been there in IDimager because in IDI it was very easy to get such duplicates.
skwarjar wrote:this is not funny!
DAM is never funny, hence why so few people have the motivation to do it.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 02 Jul 13 5:21

DAM is never funny, hence why so few people have the motivation to do it.
Hi Hert,
could you explain what you mean by that?
Thanks,
Frank

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Jul 13 7:27

Not sure what's part is open for multiple interpretations.
DAM tasks are not something the average photographer enjoys doing. While in my eyes DAM adds value/control to an image archive, the average photographer won't find the motivation to invest the time needed to achieve this. They all agree that they should, but they don't.
The audience visiting here are those that do see the importance of doing so.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

space

Post by space » 02 Jul 13 8:37

IDimager wrote:I would first think that this is due to the metadata in your files being other than what you expect it is. PSU won't come up with something like "Congo" all by itself...
With reference to the above and with the images referred to, the only proximity I had to the "Congo" was South Africa and while the two countries are on the same continent, there's little if any reason why I'm going to enter Congo into my images. Since most images were either of family or landscapes, there was little else in them to remotely suggest anything to do with the Congo.

As for the photographer reference. While this other photographer was attributed to having taken over the images in the collection, the only reference to him was in People >> photographers. Under that lable/tag there were two people there - me and this other photographer. While he may have appeared in a collection of images that I took of him, that was all.

Anyway, moot point now. Have "trashed" that database and have started over again. On this occasion will set up the image folders before setting up, working on and applying keywords to the images.

Cheers - Rogan