Move and Copy

frith

Move and Copy

Post by frith » 04 Feb 12 8:18

When in Folder view, can you move or copy images to another folder.

Thanks,

Frith

Hert

Re: Move and Copy

Post by Hert » 06 Feb 12 16:44

Hi Frith, you can not physically move/copy files from within the Folders view. Would you expect it to?

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

frith

Post by frith » 06 Feb 12 23:54

Hert,

Yes, similar to IDImager for Windows, which has Media Browser and Catalog Explorer.

More information below, but this may reflect as much on the User as it does on the software!

One of the reason I really like IDImager (Windows) is that it provides both the ability to manage images through the file structure (Media Browser) and through the Catalog tags / EXIF data (Catalog Explorer). Most catalog / data base imaging software (e.g. Aperture) focus on the catalog side but the copy / move between files structure functionality is non-existant or a bit cumbersome - it can be done but not as elegantly as IDImager (Windows).

There is a lot of material (blogs / books/ etc) that dismiss the file management aspect by effectively saying "Just download the images to the folder you want and then you never have to worry again about where the image is, everything can be done through the catalog data base." This may be true but I somehow always seem to have a need or desire to move files between folders - I may grow out of this but for now the ability to seamlessly move between file management and image management is an unbelievably distinguishing feature. It is why IDImager (Windows) is so unique (or at least a major reason why it is) and why I was in a quandary when I converted to the Mac.

Hope that helps explain the situation.

Frith

george

Post by george » 07 Feb 12 3:20

Hi Frith. I agree with you and like the fact that IDimager 5 for Windows has both a media browser and catalog explorer. Hert and his colleagues have apparently made the decision to simplify matters and dispense with the media browser. For what it's worth, this is the same approach taken by Lightroom for example.
George

frith

Post by frith » 07 Feb 12 7:26

George,

Thanks for the comments. From a user perspective (and admittedly a sample of one), the Media Browser added to catalog management is a feature that really makes IDImager (Windows) stand out from all the other options out there. But I'm sure there are other features that other users would say the same thing about.

I'm not sure what the market is in terms of having or not having the Media Browser as part of the Mac version. If it was a gargantuan task to add it and the Mac community was small, I'd skip it for simplicity sake; but if it was a relatively small task and the Mac market is robust (apparently getting more so every day) then I'd add it.

Frith

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 07 Feb 12 8:58

Hi George and Frith

I agree with your points.

One of the strong points of IDimager is the ability to fully "manage" your files on your disk with one cataloging program - and that IDimager then keeps track of your files/images, moving their location in the database to reflect what the user has done.

Some of the problems that I have seen have occurred when users move files "outside" of IDimager - and then have "lost" them in the catalog :-)

I think we could dispense with the "Media Browser" ( a la Lightroom if I am understanding what George has said) But still just allow users to move folders and files within the "imported" Folder Tree. This would help novice users keep track of their images.

I have just got a Mac and am busy settling in but it would be a great feature if not too difficult to add.

Thanks

MikeP

Although maybe on INE 's Transfer to Folder could be "enhanced" to Move Folder / Relocate Images and thus images location management could be handled that way ? - Similar to the Archive Function in the Windows version
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme

frith

Post by frith » 07 Feb 12 17:34

MikeP,

Thanks for the comments which make a lot of sense. I would not expect IDImager to be able to keep track of moving files and folders when IDImager is not open, or even if open and the move is made without using IDImager.

I tend to ingest all my images into IDImager (a top level folder called, creatively, "Photos") and then work within that. So all my subfolders and images are in IDImager - being able to move elements with that top level folder, when IDImager is open, and with IDImager would be perfectly adequate. How big a task that is to achieve I have no idea.

Frith

Hert

Post by Hert » 13 Feb 12 21:24

For the next update I've added file copy/cut & paste support. I've also added the possibility to change folder names in the catalog explorer.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 14 Feb 12 4:12

Hi all,
one thing I never understood in IDI (Windows) is why you needed an additional Media Browser if you have a File Browser branch as part of the catalog and have been repeatedly annoyed when it did not work as expected (i.e., like the Media Browser). Unfortunately do not have a Mac and cannot try any of this out, but having similar functionality in both Windows and Mac seems to make a lot of sense to me ;-)
Cheers,
Frank

frith

Post by frith » 16 Feb 12 15:28

Hert - Thanks for adding that functionality in the next release. Look forward to trying it out. Frith