IDimager Version 5 Workbook

News and Announcements
Mike Buckley

IDimager Version 5 Workbook

Post by Mike Buckley » 23 Jun 10 3:13

The IDimager Version 5 Workbook is now available for purchase at http://www.HowToCatalog.com for only $29.99. The workbook's details that are not explained in this post are explained there. That website also allows you to review or download the table of Contents and a free session from the workbook.

What is the workbook?
The workbook is an eBook in PDF (tm) format that also includes 15 JPEGs and a RAW file. It is made up entirely of workbook sessions that provide step-by-step procedures for using IDimager and the provided image files.

If you know IDimager Version 4 well
If you are reasonably familiar with IDimager Version 4, you might be particularly interested in the sessions that are devoted entirely to capabilities and features that are new in Version 5.

If you are a novice cataloger
If you are relatively new to cataloging, you might be initially interested in the Workflow sessions. You can learn how to use IDimager by completing an entire cataloging and file-management workflow from beginning to end.

If you are a relatively experienced cataloger
If you are more experienced with IDimager or other DAM products, you will probably be more interested in the dozens of Reference sessions that can be completed mostly in any order. The topics range from something so simple as "How to Manage Root Folders" to more complex topics such as "How to Use the Version Detection Wizard."

Discuss the workbook!
Please feel free to ask questions about the workbook here in the forum or by sending me a private message.

This is an independent project. Though the workbook would not be possible without the invaluable help of Hert and his staff, I am not commercially affiliated with IDimager Systems, Inc.
Last edited by Mike Buckley on 08 Jul 10 17:50, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Buckley

Errata

Post by Mike Buckley » 23 Jun 10 3:14

This post is reserved for consolidating Workbook errata in one convenient place. The errata are divided into two groups -- "Misleading Information" and "Minor Errata."

Thank you to Iain Reeves for bringing the errata to light. All errata are provided by him unless mentioned otherwise.

MISLEADING INFORMATION
An erratum is considered to be fundamentally misleading when it incorrectly explains how IDimager functions or when using your computer to complete the session leads to unintended results.

Pro Edition: Session 2.1
All material pertaining to the Pro Edition on pages 49-52 should be completed immediately after Step 9 rather than at the end of the session as provided in the workbook. To make that happen, change the order that you complete the steps as follows:

A) Complete the first part of the session through Step 9, which is on page 42.
B) Skip to the area with the light tan background on page 49. Complete everything in the light tan background through page 52.
C) Return to the area with the light tan background on page 42. Complete Steps 10 through 28, ending on page 49 to conclude the session.

Storing an Image Details Profile (Sessions 3.7 and 7.34)
Step 22 on page 205 in Session 3.7 also appears in Step 25 on page 927 in Session 7.34. Those steps provide incorrect instructions to click the green Detail Profiles icon located in the Image Details panel's mini toolbar. The instructions should be to click that icon's dropdown menu rather than the icon itself.

Setting That Opens Images in the Image Editor (Sessions 3.14 and 7.7)
Step 7 on page 249 in Session 3.14 also appears in Step 7 on page 702 in Session 7.7. Those steps provide an incomplete click stream to the setting that opens images in the Image Editor (or the Full Screen Viewer). The complete click stream is as follows: Tools >> Options >> Expand: General Settings >> Image Viewing/Editing >> Images are Opened in Image Editor >> Apply >> OK

Misidentified Thumbnails When Using the Versions Panel (Session 3.29)
The second paragraph beneath the orange bar on page 414 incorrectly refers to thumbnails displaying the non-color label in the Collection Viewer. At that point in the workflow, there are no thumbnails displaying the non-color labels. All of them display the purple color label.

Similarly, Steps 10, 12, 13 and 16 that appear later in the session refer to a particular thumbnail displaying the purple color label. Considering that all thumbnails displayed in the Collection Viewer display a purple color label, select the pertinent image that has the suffix, "web," in the filename.

Browsing in the Catalog Explorer (Sessions 4.1 and 7.59)
Information on Page 466 in Session 4.1 also appears on pages 1119-1120 of Session 7.59. That information makes the distinction between clicking the name of a parent catalog label and clicking its orange dot. That explanation incorrectly implies that clicking the name will never display thumbnails in the Collection Viewer. Though clicking the name using that particular example will not display thumbnails, clicking it in other circumstances will display them. As an example, assume that pet is the parent catalog label of dog. Also assume that the catalog label, pet, is assigned to images and that the catalog label, dog, is not assigned to those same images. In that circumstance (and others), clicking the name of the catalog label will display thumbnails in the Collection Viewer.

Similarly, continuing with the same sessions, the examples explained on page 467 with the two lower screenshots also appear on page 1121 with its two screenshots. Those examples fail to mention that the parent entires are not themselves assigned to any images; only their subentries are assigned.

Search Scripts in the Search Module (Sessions 4.1 and 7.59)
Step 16 on page 470 in Session 4.1 also appears for the most part in Step 21 on page 1123 in Session 7.59. Those steps should be replaced by the following step:

"The dialog box is asking about a script that is built into the feature set. You know it is a safe script, so click Yes. >> Use the dialog menu that appears to establish the range of dates that begins with the first day of 2008 and ends with the the first day of December 2008. Do that using the date-naming convention that you normally use or using the calendar icon to input those dates."

Red Checkmarks in the Catalog Explorer (Session 4.1)
A list of checkmark codes is displayed at the top of page 480 in Session 4.1. The second item in that list incorrectly explains that "the RED color indicates that the criterion is included." That color actually indicates that the criterion is excluded.

Misidentified Star Ratings When Using the Filter Menu (Session 4.3)
The paragraph immediately following Step 13 on Page 498 in Session 4.3 incorrectly refers to thumbnails that display a rating of 1 star. Instead, it should mention a rating of 3 stars.

MINOR ERRATA
An erratum is considered to be minor when it does not pertain to an inaccurate explanation of IDimager and when it does not lead to unintended results when using your computer to complete the session.

Incomplete Tip Pertaining to Catalog Labels
The last few words of the first tip on page 293 are omitted. The same tip, though provided with slightly different words, is provided in entirety as the first tip of page 786 and the first tip of page 1305. For your convenience, that complete tip is shown below:

TIP: Text of catalog labels is not case-sensitive.
When creating a catalog label, (Pro Edition) including the synonym or relationship of a catalog label, IDimager will store the uppercase and lowercase letters exactly as you type them. However, it is very convenient that IDimager's mechanisms that search for them or that display the popup lists of catalog labels are not case-sensitive.

Pro Edition: Looking up the Meanings of Marked Folders
A tip shown on pages 108, 759 and 1312 explains that right clicking any marked folder and selecting the menu item, Mark folder, displays the meaning of every color dot that is used to mark folders. While that is true, you can right click any folder, whether it is marked or not, to review those details.

Pro Edition TIP: Built-in sort scripts change the sort order.
The Pro Edition TIP shown on pages 490, 1098 and 1322 explains that the scripts displayed in the Sort menu change the sort order. If the order is ascending before running the script, the order will be descending immediately after running the script and vice versa. While it is true that you should be on the lookout for that change, that tip does not mention that it happens only when the immediately preceeding sort was made by running a script. Special thanks to Iain Reeves for investigating this issue.

Mis-referenced Screenshot in Session 3.28
Step 54 on page 407 refers to a screenshot located at the bottom of the page. That screenshot is actually located immediately above that step.

Mis-referenced Session in Session 3.31
The last paragraph on page 427 incorrectly states that session title "Synchronizing" is Session 3.31. That session title is Session 3.32.

Mis-referenced Step in Session 4.2
The next to last paragraph on page 486 incorrectly states that Step 28 is the last step of the session. The last step is actually Step 33.
Last edited by Mike Buckley on 09 Jul 10 12:26, edited 34 times in total.

Lars

thanks

Post by Lars » 24 Jun 10 6:44

Hi Mike

Just want to thank you for the workbook, that together with the manuals is now my reference book on IdImager.

Surfing through the book and looking at some of the "TIP"s have already opened my eyes for several useful features...and I will surely use more time on diving into these.

Thanks again!
W7/64bit, IDimager V5 ProSL

Mike Buckley

Re: IDimager Version 5 Workbook

Post by Mike Buckley » 24 Jun 10 12:23

Glad to know that you like the workbook, Lars. If you find anything particularly compelling or if you have questions or alternative ideas, please don't hesitate to mention them here.

Mike Buckley

Installing the latest version of IDimager outside IDimager

Post by Mike Buckley » 24 Jun 10 12:41

Every once in awhile someone reports that something is preventing them from loading IDimager or that they want to uninstall and reinstall IDimager. Though the workbook explains how to obtain updates from within IDimager, I realized yesterday that it does not explain how to do that without using IDimager. That method is explained below.

Turn to workbook page 1026 and the heading, "Retrieving a Misplaced License Key File." Use the instructions explained there to log in to your IDimager account. Instead of downloading the license key file as explained in the workbook, download the trial version of IDimager. After you install it, run your license key file so your copy of IDimager is no longer a trial version.

Mike Buckley

TIP: Screenshots of Your Options Settings

Post by Mike Buckley » 24 Jun 10 13:17

I wish I had thought of the tip shown below in time to include it in the workbook.

TIP: Screenshots of Your Options Settings
You may occasionally change Options settings to accomodate temporary needs, such as when using the workbook. To ensure that you always have a record of your permanent settings, make screenshots of them.

DaniLew

Post by DaniLew » 27 Jun 10 14:15

Mike,

Congratulations on completing this workbook project! It's a great e-book; chock full of useful information.

For me, the "2.1 Preparing Your IDimager" session was very enlightening.

Thank you,

Danielle
Danielle
IDimager v5.0.6.9-ProSL

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 27 Jun 10 15:17

Great to hear from you, Danielle -- and thanks! Now that the workbook is done, I look forward to joining you and the Nikon Cafe gang more often.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 28 Jun 10 13:33

The following clarification is added to the second post of this thread. That post provides workbook errata.

Pro Edition: Looking up the Meanings of Marked Folders
A tip shown on pages 108, 759 and 1312 explains that right clicking any marked folder and selecting the menu item, Mark folder, displays the meaning of every color dot that is used to mark folders. While that is true, you can right click any folder, whether it is marked or not, to review those details.

Thanks to Iain Reeves for pointing this out to us.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 29 Jun 10 2:29

On pages 195 and 359, the workbook explains that copying files on my system often changes the color label in the situation being described. A few of us have discussed this issue in another thread. I have now thoroughly tested not only copying files but also moving them. The information shown below explains how IDimager performs on my system. I have no reason to believe my system is unique.

SUMMARY
Copying a file does not copy any metadata that has been changed since the last time the file was synched.
Moving a file moves all metadata including metadata that has not been synched.
The keyboard shortcut for pasting (Ctrl+V) does not paste anything.

Considering that moving files moves all metadata including metadata that has not been synched, it is not inuitive for me that copying files copies only metadata that has been synched.

Supporting details are shown below.

Copying files that are synched
Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V: The file is NOT copied. The information seems to be copied to the clipboard but it is not pasted from it.
Ctrl+C to copy and context menu to paste: File and metadata are copied.
Only the context menu: File and metadata are copied.
Transfer method: File and metadata are copied.
Ctrl+Drag and drop: File and metadata are copied.

Copying files that are NOT synched
Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V: The file is NOT copied. The information seems to be copied to the clipboard but it is not pasted from it.
Ctrl+C to copy and context menu to paste: File is copied but metadata that has not been synched is NOT copied.
Only the context menu: File is copied but metadata that has not been synched is NOT copied.
Transfer method: File is copied but not imported. After importing, metadata that has not been synched is NOT copied.
Ctrl+Drag and drop: File is copied but metadata that has not been synched is NOT copied.

Moving files that are synched
Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V: The file is NOT moved. The information seemsto be moved to the clipboard but it is not pasted from it.
Ctrl+X to cut and context menu to paste: File and metadata are moved.
Only the context menu: File and metadata are moved.
Drag and drop: File and metadata are moved.

Moving files that are NOT synched
Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V: The file is NOT moved. The information seems to be moved to the clipboard but it is not pasted from it.
Ctrl+X to cut and context menu to paste: File and metadata that has not been synched are moved.
Only the context menu: File and metadata that has not been synched are moved.
Drag and drop: File and metadata that has not been synched are moved.

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 29 Jun 10 6:35

Mike Buckley wrote:On pages 195 and 359, the workbook explains that copying files on my system often changes the color label in the situation being described. A few of us have discussed this issue in another thread. I have now thoroughly tested not only copying files but also moving them. The information shown below explains how IDimager performs on my system. I have no reason to believe my system is unique.

SUMMARY
Copying a file does not copy any metadata that has been changed since the last time the file was synched.
Moving a file moves all metadata including metadata that has not been synched.
The keyboard shortcut for pasting (Ctrl+V) does not paste anything.

Considering that moving files moves all metadata including metadata that has not been synched, it is not inuitive for me that copying files copies only metadata that has been synched.

Supporting details are shown below.

Copying files that are synched
Ctrl+C to copy and context menu to paste: File and metadata are copied.
Only the context menu: File and metadata are copied.
Transfer method: File and metadata are copied.
Ctrl+Drag and drop: File and metadata are copied.

Copying files that are NOT synched
Ctrl+C to copy and context menu to paste: File is copied but metadata that has not been synched is NOT copied.
Only the context menu: File is copied but metadata that has not been synched is NOT copied.
Transfer method: File is copied but not imported. After importing, metadata that has not been synched is NOT copied.
Ctrl+Drag and drop: File is copied but metadata that has not been synched is NOT copied.

Moving files that are synched
Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V: The file is NOT moved. The information seemsto be moved to the clipboard but it is not pasted from it.
Ctrl+X to cut and context menu to paste: File and metadata are moved.
Only the context menu: File and metadata are moved.
Drag and drop: File and metadata are moved.

Moving files that are NOT synched
Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V: The file is NOT moved. The information seems to be moved to the clipboard but it is not pasted from it.
Ctrl+X to cut and context menu to paste: File and metadata that has not been synched are moved.
Only the context menu: File and metadata that has not been synched are moved.
Drag and drop: File and metadata that has not been synched are moved.
Mike,

Many thanks for posting this important information!

I would like to suggest that this be posted as a 'sticky' topic to either the 'Product Related Questions' or 'Workflow' forum.

Kind Regards,

--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 01 Jul 10 13:40

Many thanks to Iain Reeves for going through the Workflow Sessions click-by-click and reporting errors to us. The errata shown below have been added to the second post of this thread, where all errata are reported in one place.

Storing an Image Details Profile
Step 22 on page 205 and Step 25 on page 927 provide incorrect instructions to click the green Detail Profiles icon located in the Image Details panel's mini toolbar. The instructions should be to click that icon's dropdown menu rather than the icon itself.

Setting That Opens Images in the Image Editor
Step 7 on page 249 and Step 7 on page 702 provide an incomplete click stream to the setting that opens images in the Image Editor (or the Full Screen Viewer). The complete click stream is as follows: Tools >> Options >> Expand: General Settings >> Image Viewing/Editing >> Images are Opened in Image Editor >> Apply >> OK

Incomplete Tip Pertaining to Catalog Labels
The last few words of the first tip on page 293 are omitted. The same tip, though provided with slightly different words, is provided in entirety as the first tip of page 786 and the first tip of page 1305. For your convenience, that complete tip is shown below:

TIP: Text of catalog labels is not case-sensitive.
When creating a catalog label, (Pro Edition) including the synonym or relationship of a catalog label, IDimager will store the uppercase and lowercase letters exactly as you type them. However, it is very convenient that IDimager's mechanisms that search for them or that display the popup lists of catalog labels are not case-sensitive.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 09 Jul 10 0:40

Iain Reeves has now completed every Workflow session in Parts 2 through 4 of the workbook using IDimager and the provided image files. Better yet, he has also completed his list of errata, which I have added to the second post in this thread. Some of the errata that he discovered in the Workflow Sessions are duplicated in the "How To" sessions.

The errata listed in the second post of this thread are now divided into two groups explained there -- "Misleading Information" and "Minor Errata."

The following topics have been added to the list of "Misleading Information:"

Misidentified Thumbnails When Using the Versions Panel (Session 3.29)
Browsing in the Catalog Explorer (Sessions 4.1 and 7.59)
Search Scripts in the Search Module (Sessions 4.1 and 7.59)
Red Checkmarks in the Catalog Explorer (Session 4.1)
Misidentified Star Ratings When Using the Filter Menu (Session 4.3)

A few topics have also been added to the list of "Minor Errata."

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 04 Nov 10 13:04

The workbook explains that you should feel free to add more bookmarks, highlight sections or make any changes to the PDF that meet your needs. A workbook user has explained that Foxit is a free application that will make at least some of that possible.

Lars

Post by Lars » 04 Nov 10 23:08

Mike Buckley wrote:...Foxit is a free application that will make at least some of that possible.
Hi Mike

A similar programme I will recommend is "PDF-XChange Viewer". For any kind of annotation, highlighting and cross-linking the free-version is more than enough.

(Adding Regular bookmarks etc. requires the paid version)
W7/64bit, IDimager V5 ProSL