DNG Conversion on Import

agk7

DNG Conversion on Import

Post by agk7 » 02 Dec 12 2:20

Hi all,

Having recently loaded the trail of PSU i'm starting to get used to the changes but one thing i can't seem to find is a way to apply the DNG conversion as part of my file import process and maintain the version link to the RAW file.

I shoot just RAW and would like to convert to DNG and mirror the NEF folder with a DNG folder & set DNG as the main version as part of my import as i did with IDI.

Sorry if this has been answered but i've read the help and searched the forum and can't seem to find an answer, I hope someone can help.

Thanks Andrew
Andrew
Albury, Australia
PSu 4.3 Win10

Hert

Re: DNG Conversion on Import

Post by Hert » 02 Dec 12 8:10

Hi Andrew
but one thing i can't seem to find is a way to apply the DNG conversion as part of my file import process and maintain the version link to the RAW file.
You can run a DNG conversion by selecting the file copy script "DNGCopyHandler". Find it in the Importer->Copy Images->more copy settings->scripting->use a file copy script

Hope that helps
Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

agk7

Post by agk7 » 02 Dec 12 9:09

Thanks Hert i'd missed that,

Can i auto create a folder to store these in or will it prompt me once the dng converter is started on import (prompting would be fine i'm sure)?

Also is it possible to make the DNG the Album Version so that i use it as my main viewing version?

Thanks.
Andrew
Albury, Australia
PSu 4.3 Win10

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Dec 12 9:22

Can i auto create a folder to store these in or will it prompt me once the dng converter is started on import (prompting would be fine i'm sure)?
I have no idea... try it ;)
Also is it possible to make the DNG the Album Version so that i use it as my main viewing version?
There is no such thing as a "viewing version". If you want the DNG as your main version (which I think you want) then set the "Version Rule" to set the RAW the main version.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

agk7

Post by agk7 » 02 Dec 12 9:38

Hert,

I've just run some tests but can't seem to produce what i'm looking for, it seems the script converts but the NEF is no longer imported into the catalog?

To try and help i shoot RAW only and would like to convert to DNG but keep the NEF as a version. In IDI i would after the import i'd end up with a folder structure similar to below

C:\Photo\NEF\YYMMDD_Event\ - Containing all the NEF files.

IDI would also create a second folder

C:\Photo\DNG\YYMMDD_Event\ - Containing all the DNG files.

I would like to do similar and have the DNG as my main version and the NEF as another version that i've created "Original_NEF".

Any thoughts?

Thanks Andrew
Andrew
Albury, Australia
PSu 4.3 Win10

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Dec 12 11:59

I don't think you can achieve that, unless you edit the script to do this what you want. The current script doesn't do that.

Hert

dickl

Post by dickl » 02 Dec 12 16:36

I don't know if this is any help, but I addressed this issue with my Pentax PEF raw files.

First I did not see any reason to have both the RAW PEF files, and the RAW DNG files in the catalog. So I used the DNG conversion script to make and import the DNG into the catalog. But I did want to keep a copy of the original untouched raw file in case something went wrong. So I used the existing backup function of saving an original RAW file in a backup folder as part of the import process. That feature exists now in PSu.

The original file is stored with its orignal file name in a separate backup folder but is no longer used by PSu. It is then copied to a backup drive as the folder accumulates...

Dick

mantras

Post by mantras » 18 Feb 14 9:08

IDimager wrote:Hi Andrew
but one thing i can't seem to find is a way to apply the DNG conversion as part of my file import process and maintain the version link to the RAW file.
You can run a DNG conversion by selecting the file copy script "DNGCopyHandler". Find it in the Importer->Copy Images->more copy settings->scripting->use a file copy script

Hope that helps
Hert
Hi
super i was looking for
i find the answer
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows 10 & macos Sierra & high sierra ,photosupreme 4, lightroom & photoshop cc