Two or more metadata edits in quick succession possibly causing OneDrive sync erors

barneagle

Two or more metadata edits in quick succession possibly causing OneDrive sync erors

Post by barneagle »

The photos in my Catalog are stored in a OneDrive folder on my PC that is automatically backed up in the cloud. For several years OneDrive has reported sync errors from time to time, always on photo files. So far as I'm aware there have never been sync errors on any other kind of file, so I wonder whether the problem might relate to the way I use Photo Supreme.

Yesterday, I noticed a sync error on a photo shortly after I had been working on it. I had first applied a Rating and then, shortly after, an additional Label. The photo folder now has two copies of the photo: File A (which retains the original file name) reflects the rating, and File B (with my computer's name appended by OneDrive to the file name) reflecting both the rating and the additional label.

The "XMP:MetaData Date" tag in the two files indicates that the rating was applied about two and half minutes before the additional label:
File A: MetaData Date: 2022:06:20 16:11:00.906Z
File B: MetaData Date: 2022:06:20 16:13:37.902Z

However, Windows file system data suggests that File A was modified only about 4 seconds before File B
File A: File Modification Date/Time: 2022:06:20 16:13:33+01:00
File B: File Modification Date/Time: 2022:06:20 16:13:37+01:00

I wonder whether the OneDrive sync error might have resulted because OneDrive picked up the two file system changes before attempting to sync either of them with the online copy, and perhaps it then tried to sync them in the wrong order.

While thinking about this I've remembered that there is a Preference for "Automatically write out Catalog changes to the image file". I've always had this on. I wonder if the sync problem might be solved if I turn this off and then, in future, use the "Save Metadata to File" (Ctrl-S) option manually after I've finished working on the photo.
barneagle

Re: Two or more metadata edits in quick succession possibly causing OneDrive sync erors

Post by barneagle »

Unfortunately, after changing the Preference so that the image file is only saved when I manually select the Save Metadata to File option, I'm still getting OneDrive sync conflicts. So, my theory that edits in quick succession might be causing the problem is wrong.

I'm stumped as to what's causing these OneDrive errors.
Hert

Re: Two or more metadata edits in quick succession possibly causing OneDrive sync erors

Post by Hert »

Best to ask OneDrive because if there's one file you would expect OneDrive to sync one file.
PSU has no control over how OneDrive operates.
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message