GeoTagging: sometimes issues with City / Location

fabrizio.giudici

GeoTagging: sometimes issues with City / Location

Post by fabrizio.giudici »

Three months ago I described an issue with reverse geo-coding and v6:

viewtopic.php?p=129785

With v7 the problem (often missing information) has gone away, the full stack of geo info up to Location is always filled.

But yesterday I noted an issue - which I anticipate might not be really an "issue", since mapping information from reverse geo services is complicated, but the need of a way to customize the behaviour.

Let's see the problem with an example: 44.995171, 8.030053 is mapped as:

City: "Bagnasco"
State/Province and upper levels are ok.

Using the demo at https://developers.google.com/maps/docu ... g/overview and looking at the JSON response, one interesting chunk of information is this:

Code: Select all

"address_components" : [
            {
               "long_name" : "1",
               "types" : [ "street_number" ]
            },
            {
               "long_name" : "Via Bolla",
               "types" : [ "route" ]
            },
            {
               "long_name" : "Bagnasco",
               "types" : [ "locality", "political" ]
            },
            {
               "long_name" : "Montafia",
               "types" : [ "administrative_area_level_3", "political" ]
            },
Basically PhotoSupreme is mapping "locality" to "City" and "route" to "location". Technically speaking, "Montafia" in Italy is a municipality and "Bagnasco" a hamlet. While municipality names are warranted to be unique, hamlet names aren't even inside the same province/region. Hence I personally would like to have "administrative_area_level_3" mapped to "City".

Now I reckon this could not be the same wishes of other users, also because the hierarchy of geo names might be different in other countries. Would it be possible to make it configurable?

Thanks.
Photo Supreme + Capture One
http://stoppingdown.net
Mke

Re: GeoTagging: sometimes issues with City / Location

Post by Mke »

Yes, in a similar way, in France it would be helpful to map to arrondissement (if there is one) instead of département, and to département instead of region. And in many other non-English speaking countries, to be able to map to the recognisable names in English, rather than to unrecognisable names in local languages. I made some suggestions on this topic on Mantis a few years ago.

For now I find it's mostly simpler not to use reverse lookup.