OneDrive sync creating duplicate files

barneagle

OneDrive sync creating duplicate files

Post by barneagle » 25 Jul 20 21:52

For some time I've been using OneDrive to backup my photos (those that have been catalogued by PSu). They are stored in a folder under the root of the C drive and I created a symbolic link to that folder in the OneDrive folder.

So far as I know it has been backing them up successfully on the whole, however OneDrive has sometimes reported that it has created duplicates because of synchronisation errors. This seems to happen intermittently in batches: when one file is affected then several files are affected at the same time.

OneDrive has not reported synchronisation issues with any of my files other than these photos. I have only used symbolic links for a couple of other folders, which are accessed far less frequently, so I wonder whether it might be the symbolic link that has caused the problem.

Do any other users use OneDrive? Might I avoid synchronisation problems by moving the photos into the OneDrive folder (stopping using a symbolic link)?

Ralf

Re: OneDrive sync creating duplicate files

Post by Ralf » 26 Jul 20 13:55

I myself work almost only with symboic links and have no problems with OneDrive with files of any kind. Do you possibly have another program to watch over the directory that changes the time stamp here?
Ralf
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hobby photographer with many pictures (> 100000) of the family over generations.
(Excuse my english)

barneagle

Post by barneagle » 26 Jul 20 21:00

Thanks, Ralf. It's good to know that you have no problems with symbolic links.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean that sync problems might be caused by a program that changes the timestamp on the files that are being synced? I'm not aware of any such a program, and I've certainly not knowingly acquired one. Do you know of any programs that might do that without me knowing?

Ralf

Post by Ralf » 29 Jul 20 20:28

yes that was what I meant, I had another program running (search engine and a syncgronization program for a local NAS) that read my data and changed the time stamp. That's how I had the problem. It's only since I've stopped these programs that everything is going well for me. It's just a suspicion because it helped me
Ralf
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hobby photographer with many pictures (> 100000) of the family over generations.
(Excuse my english)