Categories v. Labels

allthepix

Categories v. Labels

Post by allthepix » 26 Feb 20 0:11

Please excuse some simple newbie questions but these relate to my interest in family history research for which I have accumulated a set of parish register screen shots.

In Bridge I have a Keyword of County and a subkeyword for each parish. I have a Keyword of Event and subkeywords of Births, Marriages and Deaths. I have Keyword of Surname and subkeywords for each surname. In this way I can easily search on the images of of an event type that include one or more surnames in a particular parish.

I've tried to import a folder of images catalogued in this manner into into Photo Supreme without much success. Should the keywords be included as part of a simple import?

If I were to start afresh, would it be better to use photo supreme's categories or labels? Or some other mechanism?

How would I assign a photo to parish A, event B and surnames C and D with simple mouseclicks?

thanks!

Hert

Re: Categories v. Labels

Post by Hert » 26 Feb 20 12:34

A warm welcome to the forum.

If you have keyworded in Bridge then the keywords should be imported. If the top level of your cataloging in Bridge doesn't match PSU's categories then your keywords end up as catalog labels in the Miscellaneous category. You can then drag them to the correct Category (tip use Ctrl+Click on Windows or Cmd+Click on macOS to select multiple entries).
If I were to start afresh, would it be better to use photo supreme's categories or labels? Or some other mechanism?
Photo Supreme makes it easy to use the dedicated Categories, which then map correct to the metadata. For instance, a catalog label in the Events category not only ends up as a keyword (dc:subject), and a hierarchical keyword (lr:hierarchicalSubject), but also as an event in the IPTC section (Iptc4xmpExt:Event).
Hierarchies in Places end up in the correct location details on the metadata (like city, country, etc).
People Catalog labels end up as keywords but also as IPTC's PersonInImage.

In short; when using the PSU Categories, you'll end up with cleaner and completer metadata.
How would I assign a photo to parish A, event B and surnames C and D with simple mouseclicks?
Use the Label Assignment Panel. Also read through the Quick Manual - Cataloging. Find it by clicking the ? icon in the left side bar. At Page 12 the Assigning Catalog Labels is described.

Hope that helps
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

allthepix

Re: Categories v. Labels

Post by allthepix » 26 Feb 20 23:49

Hert, thanks for the welcome and your helpful information. I look forward to working through your points and know where to come with my next questions!!!