Admin license currently in use ...

bonsatis

Admin license currently in use ...

Post by bonsatis » 13 Feb 20 21:51

Hi, I've just purchased a PostgreSQL PSu Server single licence which I'm currently using on an iMac with the intention of sometimes accessing remotely from other machines. During the trial period everything worked reasonably well (which is why I committed) although PSU is a complex program and I did get a few crashes and strange behaviour but I thought I'd just about got it tamed to behave as i wanted.

However, since purchasing the licence I've come to a complete halt as although I'm the only one person trying to use it on one machine at the moment, I'm getting the message the "Your admin license is currently in use". I have had a crash previously although that seemed to clear after about half an hour so that I could use PSu again. However this time after about an hour I still can't log in.

Help!

Hert

Re: Admin license currently in use ...

Post by Hert » 13 Feb 20 23:53

A warm welcome to the forum.
Can you let me know in what timeline you are (GMT)?
Thank you
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

bonsatis

Post by bonsatis » 13 Feb 20 23:58

Hi Hert,

I’m in GMT (London).

Hert

Post by Hert » 14 Feb 20 0:03

There was a recent fix for this based on a similar report; https://whatsnew.idimager.com

Build 2673; Fix for the Server Edition for a possible admin lockout during timezone difference period (for positive GMT time zones)

What build are you running?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Username

Post by Username » 14 Feb 20 3:34

I suffered from this locked out bug today when I was trying to do some migration testing -but I'm not sure if it was at work or at home.
At work, I downloaded the linked trial version from the website, received demo expired and at home I was running 2692.
I had to play around with my licenses but I'm sure it took a while and yet got locked out for a fair amount of time.

Any way - I’m in GMT+1.
PSu Server 5 & Postgres 12 on macOS 10.14
- I'm the user

Hert

Post by Hert » 14 Feb 20 8:57

Let me be clear...locking out is a feature, not a bug.

Let me outline how it is supposed to work:
1. When a user logs in at one computer, moves to another computer and logs in again then they will be locked out until they logout from Photo Supreme on the first computer
2. When a user logs in at one computer and for whatever reason Photo Supreme closes unexpectedly, then the user will be able to log in to Photo Supreme again on that same computer without being locked out
3. When a user logs in at one computer and for whatever reason Photo Supreme closes unexpectedly, and the user moves to another machine, then the user will not be able to log in to Photo Supreme because the server still thinks that the user is active on another computer. After the lockout period (15 minutes) expires, the user can log in again

@username; you are an alpha tester of a separate module that is currently under development. Keep in mind that being logged in there also counts as being "logged into Photo Supreme"

bonsatis

Post by bonsatis » 14 Feb 20 9:03

I'm on the very latest build - 2710. I'm able to get in again this morning but it was certainly more than the 5 minutes that the message says!

I understand the principle of the licensing and lock-out and thank you for the explanation. The key message I take away from this is that in the event of Photo Supreme closing unexpectedly then one should reopen on the same machine to avoid a potential lock-out arising.

Hert

Post by Hert » 14 Feb 20 9:25

in the event of Photo Supreme closing unexpectedly then one should reopen on the same machine
That is good practice because PSU remembers that last machine that the license was used on and if logging in on the same machine the PSU will reuse the license (without delay) if it is in use.

Username

Post by Username » 14 Feb 20 10:59

Ok I get a clearer picture of this now.

The notice the admin get is to wait 5 minutes but waiting 10 minutes is not enough.
If 15 is the time out then a little text correction is needed. :)

My sudden locked out - if we disregard the 5/15 minute matter - might have been relayed to my test databases when I did migration tests from pg10 to pg12 and used old dbs and new ones mixed as I have several licenses those might Ben been used differently in my database. :)

Thank you Hert for that clarification.
PSu Server 5 & Postgres 12 on macOS 10.14
- I'm the user

bonsatis

Post by bonsatis » 14 Feb 20 12:45

Thanks for the clarification. All is well on that front now. I've got another query but I'll start a new thread for that.