DB upgrade PG from 10 to 11 - How to import backup?

yogavidyapubs

DB upgrade PG from 10 to 11 - How to import backup?

Post by yogavidyapubs » 20 Jan 20 7:17

Hi,

I was running Photo Supreme 5.2.0.2570 with PostGresSQL 10 backend. I want to upgrade to PG 11 so I made a backup of the PS catalog (data only, not thumbnails).

Now PG 11 is up and running, but when I run PS it says idimager_main user not found. This makes sense as the new PG install doesn't have the photosupreme databases or user(s).

How do I initiate that process so that I can get to main PS screen where I can restore/import the catalog saved which was running under PG 10?
If there is a better recommendation for this process for updating the backend database and restoring PS data, please let me know.

I tried fresh uninstall and reinstall of PhotoSupreme, including removing AppData/Local/IDImager, but somehow previous login information is always remembered and the login prompt appears.

Thanks for any assistance.

Hert

Re: DB upgrade PG from 10 to 11 - How to import backup?

Post by Hert » 20 Jan 20 9:02

First of all a warm welcome to the forum.

Follow these steps when moving to a new database server;
1. Backup your database
2. Start PSU while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Win (Windows) or Ctrl+Opt+Cmd (macOS). This will start PSU with the database creation dialog. Keep the combination pressed until the dialog appears
3. Create a new database on the new server
4. Start PSU and login to the newly created database
5. Restore the backup

You probably didn't do step 2.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

yogavidyapubs

Post by yogavidyapubs » 22 Jan 20 6:36

Thank you for the welcome and detailed response.

Correct, I didn't do step 2. I looked for v5 documentation online (via Google and browsing the site), but couldn't find it.

Because we only backed up the metadata, I assume the thumbnails will be created without issue once we start using PSU?

Thanks again.

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Jan 20 9:29

I assume the thumbnails will be created without issue once we start using PSU?
They will build as needed. But better use "Tools -> Build missing thumbs and previews" from the hamburger menu
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

yogavidyapubs

Post by yogavidyapubs » 22 Jan 20 12:59

I went through the steps as you described, Hert.

1. I didn't see a prompt from PSU asking which database version I was using so I ended up uninstalling, then resinstalling PSU and choosing v12 for PostGreSQL.
2. Starting PSY again with Ctrl+Alt+Win until I got to point where I could restore a backup
3. The memory on a 16GB dedicated server gradually went down until PSU gave out of memory error, and Windows said please shut down PSU. This occurred after the 99% mark on the PSU progress bar. The actual process holding on to all the memory was from postgres.exe.
4. I tried 3 times, but no luck. Nothing else is running on this dedicated machine for PSU.

* I did go through the PSU PostGres manual and change all the performance settings as detailed.
* I'll see if the result is any different for PG11 and if no change, then revert back to PSU 5.2 (our previous version) and see if that works
* I have many screenshots if helpful for troubleshooting

If you can think of that may help complete the restore of a 15GB metadata file without about 455,000 images in the catalog, I'll try it.

Thanks.