Swapping image hard drive

Stephen

Swapping image hard drive

Post by Stephen » 03 Jul 19 11:43

I am about to swap my image hard drive and cannot remember exactly how I did it last time.

All images are kept on an external drive, which is cloned regularly. I now need to swap the drive.

I remember the process was as simple as selecting it from within PSu. However, this time I would like to change the name of the folder from the long "Image-Library-B" to the shorter "LibB". Would it be best to first let PSu locate the drive and then change the folder name afterwards from within PSu? I figure that the database will have a lot of paths to re-allocate during the process so renaming before or renaming afterwards is the question?
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Hert

Re: Swapping image hard drive

Post by Hert » 03 Jul 19 13:29

After swapping the drive, in Folders, select the top node, right click and "Map to the correct physical path"
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 06 Jul 19 15:11

Thanks, easy peasy, that was the $64k solution! I'm so pleased that I decided years ago to put all images on an external drive.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 23 Jul 19 11:15

The new drive failed before I could start using it in PSu. I obtained a replacement and synced all the files over. That still worked. Then I verified them, which also worked.

I changed the name of the drive (forgot to do it beforehand) and told PSu where to find it (Map to Correct Physical Folder). Worked well but PSu showed me the name of the old drive in the tree, so I selected the root and used the Verify Folder command.

That took overnight for 150,000 + images. Now I only see 132,000 images, all the labels have gone :( and none are synced. In the Folders by Date panel, the dates are completely messed up. Most are dated 1899-12-30. In the Details panel the dates look correct.

Also the question of what happened to 20,000 images. :(

This is naturally serious, so would it be best to start again and do something differently this time?

Hert

Post by Hert » 23 Jul 19 12:11

In Timeline, select 1899. Then select all thumbnails, right click and select Metadata -> Read from File
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 23 Jul 19 13:40

Thanks, Hert,

That did occur to me even before receiving your rapid reply. I tried one image and the labels did indeed return. However, the synonyms which I chose for the label ‘chairs’, namely “chair, seat, seats” all appear in the misc category, rather than under ‘furniture’ which is where ‘chairs’ is located.

That will presumably be similar for all other synonyms allocated and I will never be able to tidy up the misc category.

Hert

Post by Hert » 23 Jul 19 13:45

Stephen, maybe consider returning to your backup from before the verify.

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 23 Jul 19 13:46

Can you not just drag the labels from Misc to where they should belong ? That's what I have done for the few times that has happened to me.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 23 Jul 19 14:30

G8DHE wrote:
23 Jul 19 13:46
Can you not just drag the labels from Misc to where they should belong ? That's what I have done for the few times that has happened to me.
Where do synonyms belong? That part of the discussion on synonyms remains open.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 23 Jul 19 14:39

Hert wrote:
23 Jul 19 13:45
Stephen, maybe consider returning to your backup from before the verify.
OK, but if you are referring to a data backup, there is no backup immediately prior to the verify. The verify was done following the attachment of the new drive and mapping to that drive. This will now mean starting from scratch, wiping the new drive and syncing (copying) once more from the bad drive to the new one. It took 23hrs + 9 hours for bit-to-bit verification, but as it can be done on an isolated computer, why not. It might be safer and avoid manual repairs.

Incidentally, did I do anything wrong by renaming the drive? It's done now, so will not need repeating.

Hert

Post by Hert » 23 Jul 19 14:45

You don't have to wipe your new drive (unless you think there are missing image files)

Keep the new drive attached:
1. Restore you backup
2. Start PSU
3. Map to the correct physical drive (the new drive)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 23 Jul 19 14:56

Sorry to sound pedantic, but I want to get it right.

1. You are presumably referring to "restore PSu data" command?
2. To do the above, PSu is open anyway, so I can close it and reopen.
3. Then I will map again.

Did I understand you correctly? Thanks.

Hert

Post by Hert » 23 Jul 19 15:16

Yes, restore the PSU data as created before the drive swap

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 23 Jul 19 16:02

Thanks, done that and I’m now back to where I was before verifying the folder.

The screen shot shows the new drive and ImageLib-B is the new library. This is where I was trying to correct things last time, but it went wrong.

All other lines show relevant folders, except the penultimate, ‘ImageLibrary-B’ which was the old name on the old drive. Do I have to remap that folder to the new name ‘ImageLib-B’ to correct this double entry?

Interestingly, all folders are red showing off-line, which is not true and they are also on the same level as ImageLib-B, or should be.

Incidentally, the ‘missing’ 20,000 images were on another drive, phew!
Attachments
Photo SupremeScreenSnapz212.jpg
Photo SupremeScreenSnapz212.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Last edited by Stephen on 23 Jul 19 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 23 Jul 19 16:27

This has only partly solved itself. The red 'offline' folders have corrected themselves! I left Psu alone for 30 mins and everything suddenly looks good. There were no moving indicators to show that anything was happening. So far so good, except as mentioned earlier, ‘ImageLibrary-B’ was the old name on the old drive.

Will remapping that folder to the new name ‘ImageLib-B’ correct this double entry or is that likely to cause more problems?