Slow

peterpix

Slow

Post by peterpix » 13 Apr 19 18:02

I may be doing something wrong but I am finding PS increasingly slow.

I think that this might be something to do with the fact that my images are stored on a NAS device. I say this because when I click on e.g. a folder and there is a delay, in the background the NAS starts burbling. But given that the database and thumbs are on my computer, I don't understand why I don't get an immediate change of view, rather than (how it seems) the computer quering the NAS first.

Same on startup. When the NAS has gone to sleep there is a lot of burbling from the NAS (waking up) at the same time as the slow PS start-up (up to 30 seconds or so).

Also when I move from one image to another, often there is not the instant switchover to the new image's data on the left hand side of the screen. I don't understand why the program and computer are not just pulling the info from the database really quickly. The thumb of the new image is already on screen, I just need the new image's data to be displayed.

Is there perhaps a setting I have wrong or something?

Peter

Hert

Re: Slow

Post by Hert » 14 Apr 19 9:20

First of all, compact the database regularly. Make a weekly habit of that.

Furthermore, when your drives are online then they will be accessed. A NAS is typically slow to access and typically use HDSs instead of fast drives. If you don’t want PSU to access your drives then switch to offline mode. In offline mode, PSU will consider any drive “unavailable”, which also means it can’t sync to the images until after you switch back to online mode.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

peterpix

Re: Slow

Post by peterpix » 14 Apr 19 14:55

Wow! Thanks. Compacting data and thumbs databases has made a huge difference.

Peter