Loading 126,000 images at once is slow

jakobevers

Loading 126,000 images at once is slow

Post by jakobevers » 21 Mar 19 21:53

Hi

I have just bought the Single User version, an I dont think that i has the speed to handel 126k pictures.

My main concern is when you wanna show all 126k pictures, it only uses one CPU core (100%) to gather the information and show the pictures in the main window. I have a 12 core Mac 3.6GHz
Screenshot 2019-03-21 at 21.46.16.png
Screenshot 2019-03-21 at 21.46.16.png (30.55 KiB) Viewed 395 times

And it uses about 23GB of memory. Not that this is a problem, but is on the the heavy side. I have 128GB of memory
Screenshot 2019-03-21 at 21.45.13.png
Screenshot 2019-03-21 at 21.45.13.png (32.16 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Will is be better to get the Server version?

/Jakob

[Hert; edited the title to better match the topic]

Hert

Re: Single user version vs Server version speed

Post by Hert » 22 Mar 19 11:09

A warm welcome to the forum.
The whole purpose of using an application like Photo Supreme is that you don't have to wade through massive volumes of images like you're trying to do by loading 126K images.

I assume that you're a former MediaPro user? This because in MediaPro you would typically load all images and then start filtering from there to find what you're looking for.

But with Photo Supreme the reverse is the case. You start with what you're looking for and not with what you're not looking for.

For instance, if you need all images with Jakob on it then select that in the left side Catalog View. You can make all kinds of combinations there. Also read the Manual about searching. You can find it in the Help menu of the hamburger (upper left).
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

jakobevers

Re: Loading 126,000 images at once is slow

Post by jakobevers » 22 Mar 19 12:18

Hi Hert...

Thx for the welcome.

You are right about the MediaPro. but my thing is that why is PSu not doing any multithreading on the loading part. Most modern computers have multi cores. And it would speed everything up. Is there a reason for that?

I can see that PSu is using multi cores when building thumbnails and other things.

I will try to go the other way as you propose...

/Jakob

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Mar 19 12:33

jakobevers wrote:
22 Mar 19 12:18
why is PSu not doing any multithreading on the loading part. Most modern computers have multi cores. And it would speed everything up. Is there a reason for that?
Tasks can be balanced over processor. Executing a statement on the database is a single task and hence the computer will assign it to a single core. Once everything is loaded, multiple threads will start retrieving or building thumbnails, parsing custom thumbnail descriptions, and much more.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

jakobevers

Post by jakobevers » 22 Mar 19 12:52

Ok is there a way to speed up this? Or will it help to get the PS server version?

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Mar 19 13:08

jakobevers wrote:
22 Mar 19 12:52
Ok is there a way to speed up this? Or will it help to get the PS server version?
Speed up loading 126K images? Then the answer is no. The server edition is no different in that. As suggested, in PSU you would typically work with targeted sets.

I can't imagine any benefit in loading 126K images in one go. That's comparable with Google loading the entire internet to memory and filtering from there. Doesn't make much sense does it?
MediaPro (iView) originates from an era when volumes were low. They could get away with loading everything to memory, and once loaded it would be very fast because everything was done in memory. They got burned by that design in the mid 2000s when volumes started rising quickly and their architecture didn't work anymore. That's when they started suggesting to split everything up and use multiple catalogs.

PSU has users with 1.5 million images in their catalog.