Naming convention scanned film

Username

Naming convention scanned film

Post by Username » 19 Jan 19 1:18

As I managed to get my hands on a Minolta Scan Elite 5400 II mint in box for $20 (yes twenty) I've begun scanning some of my old and new film.
But soon I ran into the naming convention problems.

I'm not sure how I should name the scanned images to best suite PSu and my setup and versioning.
Today I'm using:
_DxO.
_NXD.
_print.
_email.
etc.

Adding _scan felt natural.

But how much metadata/information do you add to the filename?
Filmtype, BW, Color, Date, Frame number?
Would it make sense to use:
date-frame_scan.
filmtype-serial-frame_scan

Any ideas or recommendations?
- I'm the user

HaraldE

Re: Naming convention scanned film

Post by HaraldE » 20 Jan 19 23:33

Morning,

I never add metadata to the file name. For me metadata should be stored in the metadata.
All I do is to name the scanned photo like "Birthday" and then let the scanner add a number to make the name unique

Regards, Harald

Mke

Post by Mke » 22 Jan 19 15:13

I agree with Harald on metadata.

My file name convention always remains photographer-date-device-serialNumber (and for device I'd use 'scan' or 'Minolta5400').

Username

Post by Username » 22 Jan 19 19:30

Thanks guys.

I’ll keep it pretty clean and add metadata instead.
- I'm the user

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 24 Jan 19 22:48

Hello Mike,

Interesting to see your structure, I use the same components but store them in metadata:
You have "photographer-date-device-serialNumber (and for device I'd use 'scan' or 'Minolta5400')."

When I import images in to PSU I do this with a few Import Profiles. There is actually
> one profile for my Sony Camera images
> one for my Sony Camera film
> one for my mobile camera
> one for scanned items

These profiles all share the same batch file. This batch file will do the following:
> Make sure there is no "Document Title" at all, I want it to be empty
> Add the name "Harald" to the "Copyright Notice" entry .... this covers your part called "Photographer"

In addition to this same batch file each Import Profile has it own individual "Import detail profile".
They are all different but they all differ in the same way. They all set a specific value for the "Original Copyrighs" entry. The value is "MyMobile" for the Mobile import profile and is "Slide" for all imported slides and so on. ... this covers your part called "device"

Then we have your part called SerialNumber and this is added to the filename by the scanner, nothing I have to care about. And this part I do not store in the metadata.

Finally your date entry which I assume is the date when the slide/photo was taken. This always has to be added afterwards since a scanned image never has the correct date. After the images has been imported I work on then through the Re-Date window (CTRL+SHIFT+D). Quite often there is a set of scanned slides from the same day so they are changed all in one go ... this covers your part called "Date"

Hope the above description is of help

Regards, Harald

Mke

Post by Mke » 29 Jan 19 19:42

Interesting Harald.

I use photographer-date-device-serialNumber for file names as (for me) its necessary and sufficient to guarantee a unique name for every image.

Images are renamed outside PSU using FreeCommander's Multi Rename feature - which stores and applies multiple profiles in a similar way to your PSU import profiles; I've been using FreeCommander for years and find it quicker to use than PSU. And yes, for scanned images the date is the original image date, or more often an approximate date.

From within PSU I then add copyright and photographer information to the metadata using a preset profile using the 'Details' Action Button.

So different approaches, but apart from Exif dates it seems we end up with similar metadata (as per the thread viewtopic.php?p=121535#p121490 I don't normally correct the Exif dates for scanned images, because until ISO 8601-2019 gets implemented they can't cope with fuzzy dates).