Image Rights management tool

Stephen

Image Rights management tool

Post by Stephen » 15 Jan 19 20:18

Does anybody use PSu as an image rights management tool? Being a database containing all of ones images, it would appear to be logical. I tested this by adding a custom field. This can be then filled with i.e. “AB date” to indicate that a particular customer licensed the image on the said date. However, this is limited when an image is licensed for a second time.

I would be keen to hear if others have discovered ways?
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

fbungarz

Re: Image Rights management tool

Post by fbungarz » 16 Jan 19 0:31

I use it and it works well. I created a separate label category "copyright" with two main subcategories "Image License" and "Photographer".
Under "Photographer" I have a list of names, these names are labels mapped to the XMP field "dc:creator":
PSU-License.jpg
PSU-License.jpg (92.42 KiB) Viewed 583 times
The "Image License" labels are labels that automatically apply a Detail Profile to fill in a copyright notice and usage terms:
PSU-License_2.jpg
PSU-License_2.jpg (115.23 KiB) Viewed 583 times

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 16 Jan 19 5:04

Thank you Frank, that looks very interesting.

Incidentally did you use this with version 3 too? I'm still using 3 and cannot upgrade for a few months, but would like to solve this beforehand.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 16 Jan 19 17:57

Frank,

I can hazard a guess as to why you used a category, as if you are using the Darwin Core, you might not have easy access to the copyright fields available in the “Advanced” profile.

Your method also allows you to see the copyright terms and the photographer in one place, which is quite useful. However, I’m only managing one photographer, so I don’t need that label. What I would like though is a means of tracking image usage by customer and date, i.e. (the letters being abbreviations of the customer)

AB2017-01-16
CD2017-07-07
AB2018-05-06
etc.

I could possibly create a label for each occurrence. Is that what you were proposing?

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 16 Jan 19 19:01

Hi Stephen,
yes, I used this already in version 3 (and actually before that in IDI).
I use a separate category not because I am using the DarwinCore, but because I used to have these labels under Peoplr, but in PSu (unlike IDI) People are now automatically written into "person in image" and obviously the photographer is never shown in the image he/she takes (unless it is a self portrait).
So, long story short: a person shown in the image is usually different from the image creator (i.e., the photographer). Better keep both separate ...
However, I’m only managing one photographer, so I don’t need that label.
Well, but perhaps you would use different kind of "copyrights", i.e., different usage terms (like the traditional copyright vs. creative commons ...)
What I would like though is a means of tracking image usage by customer and date
I think you could easily create labels for those under the same general category and (if necessary) configure PSU to write the data into some of the copyright metadata fields (not sure exactly which XMP field you would want to map these to, but perhaps there are already fields like "client" and/or "client date" - you'll need to go through the XMP).

Cheers,
Frank

bimo

Post by bimo » 16 Jan 19 19:08

Stephen,

under a new category "Job-Identification" I created catalog labels for client and job (see screenshot):
client&job.jpg
client&job.jpg (4.01 KiB) Viewed 531 times
In the details for "job id" I choose the detail panel where I enter the client's id and the job id separated by a slash in "xmp:photoshop:TransmissionReference"(see screenshot):
client&job-detail.jpg
client&job-detail.jpg (20.8 KiB) Viewed 531 times
I then apply these labels to a selection of files for that client. Afterwards I choose "share" and "copy to folder". In section "filename" the first part is the complete job identification (client & job) which was stored under "xmp:photoshop:TransmissionReference"; the slash is replaced by a backslash and completed by the filename:
copy2folder-detail.jpg
copy2folder-detail.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 531 times
That results in 1 folder per client with a subfolder for each job.

Perfect for me, but I have the same issue that you have: the second client can't be included but needs special attention and a manual procedure. At the time being I have neither the time nor the idea how to incorporate the second and following clients... :(
Michael

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 16 Jan 19 19:40

Stephen,
Stephen wrote:
16 Jan 19 17:57
AB2017-01-16
Ideally, one wants a field to contain one value. For example, a Name field contains a name; a Date field contains a date. Combining values into one field ... something I have done ... typically creates a lot more work down the line, whether it is to quickly see "how many", or trying to use the data, ....

Thus ....
ImageRights.PNG
ImageRights.PNG (7.28 KiB) Viewed 520 times
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 17 Jan 19 18:39

Thanks everybody for the useful feedback which I intend to test.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 18 Jan 19 19:34

What is the consensus here on using a label over a custom field for this task, apart from the obvious possibly of creating dependencies when using labels, i.e. "sub labels"?

The fastest way to assign these new labels is probably by having the catalog view open and dragging the image(s) to the right labels. However, that conflicts with having the portfolio view open, which is my normal way of working.

I see that Frank and Bimo have applied profiles, but I'm not planning to use that feature.

Any views please?

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 18 Jan 19 20:44

If you write data to the file, the labels (keywords) will easily be accessible in other software. A custom field (custom XMP) ... probably not. Having said that I use custom fields.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 18 Jan 19 20:46

Stephen wrote:
18 Jan 19 19:34
The fastest way to assign these new labels is probably by having the catalog view open and dragging the image(s) to the right labels. However, that conflicts with having the portfolio view open, which is my normal way of working.
I use the Assign panel.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 19 Jan 19 3:50

sanphotgn wrote:
18 Jan 19 20:44
If you write data to the file, the labels (keywords) will easily be accessible in other software. A custom field (custom XMP) ... probably not. Having said that I use custom fields.
But you can set any label to private too. Naturally, nobody wants this private information to appear in a file which might be later distributed to other parties. Are you sure that you use custom fields and not private labels? I thought that custom fields were only visible from the Info view?

I have previously used custom fields, which have limitations with multiple image usage (sales), which is what I'm now trying to track.

I'm testing the best way to accomplish this.
Last edited by Stephen on 19 Jan 19 4:54, edited 1 time in total.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 19 Jan 19 4:50

Stephen wrote:
19 Jan 19 3:50
But you can set any label to private too.
Correct.
Stephen wrote:
Are you sure that you use custom fields and not private labels?
I actually use both these days.
Stephen wrote:
I thought that customs fields were only visible from the Info view?
Custom fields are custom XMP, which is written to the file (if that is enabled).
Stephen wrote:
Naturally, nobody wants this private information to appear in a file which might be later distributed to other parties.
Thus, before distribution, some metadata should be stripped during export or after export.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 19 Jan 19 23:37

sanphotgn wrote:
19 Jan 19 4:50
Stephen wrote:
Naturally, nobody wants this private information to appear in a file which might be later distributed to other parties.
Thus, before distribution, some metadata should be stripped during export or after export.
That is error prone however, so I would prefer not to write this internal data to the file and will therefore use private labels. PSu for instance is limited as to which metadata can be selected for stripping.

Your comment about using custom fields and private labels is now clear as your screenshot appeared to be a label.

Thanks again. Still testing here.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 20 Jan 19 3:12

Stephen wrote:
19 Jan 19 23:37
Your comment about using custom fields and private labels is now clear as your screenshot appeared to be a label.
I apologize I wasn't clear. The screenshot is a label, displaying how one can have specific data in their own "fields" (in this case labels). With labels, you can quickly filter on the Image Rights Customer Date and see how many were processed on a specific date. Enable the Assign panel and select all images you will be able to see the Customers for that date. And so on.

In my workflow, labels would make things easier in some ways (sharing across applications), but I have to use the metadata for reports and I haven't figured out how to easily manipulate the labels metadata after export (I am not very good at scripting and coding). Thus, I use custom fields. Unlike your situation, my custom fields are one and done. They each contain very specific info (no mixing and matching of data) and there is no need to add additional data later.
Stephen wrote:
19 Jan 19 23:37
PSu for instance is limited as to which metadata can be selected for stripping.
Not sure about version 3 (can't remember), but in version 4, in the Share panel, you can strip EXIF and GPS metadata and go XMP line by XMP line, including custom XMP.