Extracting or generating previews and versions?

Username

Extracting or generating previews and versions?

Post by Username » 07 Jan 19 22:29

I played around with some bash scripting for exiftool extracting the internal jpeg from the Nikon nef raws.
They contain that really nice grain the Nikon engine produce and felt that I actually would like to keep them as a version for email or quick compressed full size jpeg.
And perhaps even as preview I PSu.

Would it be possible to create a pascal script for PSu which does extract this for the same premise as it does all other previews?

How does PSu create the previews today?
Are those based on PSu parsing the raws using the available server OS raw support or does PSu create them in its own?
Or does PSu extract the jpeg from the raws already and simply rescale them and save them to the db?
PSu Server 5 & Postgres 10 on macOS 10.14
- I'm the user

Hert

Re: Extracting or generating previews and versions?

Post by Hert » 07 Jan 19 22:49

How does PSu create the previews today?
Are those based on PSu parsing the raws using the available server OS raw support or does PSu create them in its own?
Or does PSu extract the jpeg from the raws already and simply rescale them and save them to the db?
For NEF, PSU extracts the preview from the metadata, and downsizes it if needed and stores that as the preview in the database.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 12 Jan 19 18:28

I think, keeping the unaltered embedded JPG as a preview is what username would likes to see - If I understand him right.
The moment you downsize the embedded jpg, the "Nikon grain" is propably gone...
PSUServer 4.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

Username

Post by Username » 12 Jan 19 20:56

Yes.
My idea was to keep the untouched NEF-embedded jpegs for previews.
Perhaps with an option under Catalog Settings / Image preview size (pixels) "Native embedded"

And even add an option for PSu to extract the jpegs from the NEFs and store them side by side in the NEF dir while importing them. To use them as a simple version available for quick distribution.
PSu Server 5 & Postgres 10 on macOS 10.14
- I'm the user

Hert

Post by Hert » 12 Jan 19 21:22

When you open the NEF is the viewer then you’ll get the full size preview from the NEF (assuming you didn’t disable the original loading in the viewers settings)
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system