Attached audio side car file

rdv4rjm

Attached audio side car file

Post by rdv4rjm » 24 Dec 18 4:51

Would it be possible to attach a wav file to a photo in PSU?

Would it be possible within PSU to record a comment which would be automatically attached to actual photo as a side car file?

Why?
In our case, we have a huge amount of photos info needs to be imported to. This valuable information is known from only a few elderly people.
I wish I could scroll through photos and record as we go, now they still remember the events and names of persons shown.

Is this possible in PSU?

Thanks

LifeIsLong

Re: Attached audio side car file

Post by LifeIsLong » 25 Dec 18 13:24

Wow! I thought I was the only one!

This would be a great feature. In my case it's the hours I sat with my grandmother flipping through slides capturing her comments about each one. I would love to be able to split the audio and have it with the picture in PSU.

(I dont think PSU would have to split the audio... there are plenty of programs for that. I would just like to be able to associate an audio file with a picture, kind of like the caption metadata. Though it might be nice if you could associate an audio file and a timestamp within the file.)

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 25 Dec 18 13:43

There's certainly nothing stopping you adding an audio format file (or any other kind) to PSU's list of file types that it manages (do this in preferences); and you can easily add an audio playback program to the list of tools in PSU so you can easily play back within PSU (again this is done in preferences).

And you can list the files in filename order so the image/video file will be listed next to the audio file of the same name. That might be enough to serve your purpose? I don't think there's anything further you can do to "associate" the two files; I'm not sure what it could do, how you would want it to work, further than this? Perhaps a context menu (right-click) option to "play associated audio file"?
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 25 Dec 18 15:19

I hadn't thought about this before but have just successfully tried this:
Added .mp3 to PSu's file types.
Copied and renamed an mp3 file and a jpeg image file into a temporary folder, giving them the same names (excluding extension).
Automatically versioned.
Switched through the thumbnail version tabs to find the one with a vlc icon (the default player on my Windows PC).
Double clicked the "audio thumbnail" and ..... it plays!

[Edit] PS - Merry Christmas to everyone.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 25 Dec 18 17:59

Excellent, hadn't realised it would play, with the associated program, on a double click.

Happy Christmas to all you PSU-ers!
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 25 Dec 18 19:46

The free video editors will happily turn the single image and audio file into a single file video mp3 file so that it displays the image and plays the audio at the same time. In fact VLC might be able to do it as well using the Convert/save function, never tried it with a single image myself before...
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)