label duplication in "Miscellaneous" category

fbungarz

label duplication in "Miscellaneous" category

Post by fbungarz » 11 Dec 18 16:42

I have not changed my sync settings for ages.
In version 3 I did have some problems with writing the ICS schema and Hert advised me to turn it off. I made no other changes though.

Recently, in version 4, it now happens quite frequently that my labels are being duplicated. The photos get labels written both to the category where these labels actually belong AND a new duplicate label is added and written under the "Miscellaneous " category.
Do I need to change my sync settings (screenshots below)?

WRITE
PSu_SyncWrite.jpg
PSu_SyncWrite.jpg (71.48 KiB) Viewed 759 times
READ
PSu_SyncRead.jpg
PSu_SyncRead.jpg (59.89 KiB) Viewed 759 times

Larry56

Re: label duplication in "Miscellaneous" category

Post by Larry56 » 11 Dec 18 16:56

Are these RAW processed jpgs? I know that at least On1 does not recognize keyword hierarchy and when I import they end up under Miscellaneous and I have to manually moved them to the correct location. Just a thought.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 11 Dec 18 20:53

Are these RAW processed jpgs?
No, they are not.
And: I am not using On1 as my RAW developer.

However, I use PSu to keep all my files (original JPG+NEF+DNG) versioned. And if I use an external program (Photoshop, Affinity, DxO) then I add the derivative file as an extra version (changing its file name adding a "_print" or "_edited").
Importing these files it is possible that their metadata is being read. Using "verify folder", I typically only import the new files and disable "apply file changes" - so, I assumed the metadata of these files would not be read by "verify". And since I am adding them as a version and then cascade the metadata from the main version, any derivative file should NOT have different metadata and thus create labels under "Miscellaneous".

Hert

Post by Hert » 12 Dec 18 1:09

Disable “Read delimited keywords”
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 12 Dec 18 16:03

OK, thanks !!!

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 15 Jan 19 0:37

Hi Hert,
I disabled that option for quite some time now, but unfortunately it today happened again that labels got duplicated under "Miscellaneous".

This is what I did:
I opened a file from within PSU using an external program like Photoshop, edited it and saved that file as my print version (naming it with a the extension "*_print.jpg"). Then, in PSU I used verify to add the file to the catalog. In some instances verify folder recognized that the file was supposed to be a version of the original file; for other files I had to add the new file as a version manually (I guess the difference is whether all images of the version set are in the same folder or not).
Anyway - when I run "verify Folder" for some reason PSU tells me that metadata have changed and therefore suggests to import them. I don't want to import any metadata that might have been changed by Photoshop as a result of creating a new file. Therefore, I selected "no action" for reading the changed metadata, but I still imported the file, sometimes having to add it as a version to the main version.
Finally, I then routinely cascaded the metadata the main version (to make sure all versions have the same metadata!).

In some cases, however, that procedure then generates duplicate labels under "Miscellaneous", no idea when exactly and why. Following your suggestion, I have turned "read delimited keywords off". [I double checked!].
:?

Any advice?

Thanks,
frank

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 15 Jan 19 3:02

Maybe you could try to revoke assigned labels and save data to file before cascading them. Not sure as I don't cascade.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Hert

Post by Hert » 15 Jan 19 9:06

Are you using build 1806 or higher? Reading on https://whatsnew.idimager.com you’ll see a fix released in 1806 for occasional duplication of catalog labels while reading metadata to the catalog.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 16 Jan 19 0:19

I am using 4.3.2.1857

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 16 Jan 19 0:21

Re Stephen:
Maybe you could try to revoke assigned labels and save data to file before cascading them. Not sure as I don't cascade.
It is possible to just delete all labels under Miscellaneous and that removes only the duplicates, not the original, correctly placed ones.
Still it is a bit of a nuisance and I'd prefer if duplication would not happen in the first place rather than having to regularly delete these redundant labels ...
:wink:

Hert

Post by Hert » 16 Jan 19 14:41

You probably had these duplicates then from before build 1806.
You can delete the duplicates, but I would merge them

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 16 Jan 19 18:49

You probably had these duplicates then from before build 1806.
This definitely happened most recently on some of the files for which I made a print version, not in build 1806.
UNLESS:
Did the 186 bug write the miscellaneous labels into the XMP files without showing that these labels were written? And, even then, why would importing the print versions via verify then add the data if I specifically tell it not to add data?

Hert

Post by Hert » 16 Jan 19 19:12

This definitely happened most recently on some of the files
You had hierarchical keywords switched on together with delimited keywords.that will lead to duplication. Hence why I asked to switch that off.

Please report in Mantis if you have a consistent way of reproducing this issue.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 17 Jan 19 22:55

Please report in Mantis if you have a consistent way of reproducing this issue.
OK; I will watch it a bit more closely and if I can reproduce it consistently will file a Mantis Ticket.
Thanks!

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 15 Feb 19 21:15

This is STILL happening despite adjusting my settings! I would file it in Mantis, if I understood how and why this is happening, but there is no consistent pattern that I can make out. Ever so often I keep having labels showing up under "Miscellaneous" for no obvious reason. VERY bizarre...