Updating category labels between catalogs possible?

Larry56

Updating category labels between catalogs possible?

Post by Larry56 » 27 Sep 18 18:00

My primary computer for cataloging photos is now on a notebook. My old computer, a desktop, has it's own catalog and the notebook has its own catalog. As I work with current photos on my notebook I'm occasionally adding GEO tags and moving categories to different locations. After cataloging, etc I copy photos to desktop and Verify the folders to add to the desktop catalog.

When I update GEO tags and re-arrange I know the updated catalog will contain that information but is there a way to update catalog labels GEO information to the desktop catalog?

For older photos not on notebook that are changed I sync to an external hard drive that has all my photos but I'm not sure how to get that info to the desktop.

Hert

Re: Updating category labels between catalogs possible?

Post by Hert » 27 Sep 18 19:35

This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

bimo

Post by bimo » 30 Sep 18 13:52

I just gave the script "Export Import Catalog Structure" a try:

Relations between labels are being lost - what a pity...

Maybe relations will be included in a new version?!
Michael

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 30 Sep 18 20:35

I do this by exporting a formatted Vocabulary file and then importing it on the other machine, from the Data menu item.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Hert

Post by Hert » 30 Sep 18 23:12

G8DHE wrote:
30 Sep 18 20:35
I do this by exporting a formatted Vocabulary file and then importing it on the other machine, from the Data menu item.
There's much more in the details of a catalog label than can be written to a vocabulary file. For example; GPS details, XMP field mappings, shortcut, description, metadata profile, a thumb image, and more.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

bimo

Post by bimo » 30 Sep 18 23:16

The formatted vocabulary option has already been available in the old days of idImager.

Neither does it export relations nor does it export and import the lables' description (which the script "Export Import Catalog Structure" perfectly does).

Do you really think Hert has the time to provide a new script with less functionality than a solution known for about 10 or so years??
Michael

bimo

Post by bimo » 30 Sep 18 23:20

Gosh! I can't even compete with Hert's response time... :shock: :oops: Just realized that he had already answered :lol:
Michael

Hert

Post by Hert » 01 Oct 18 0:12

bimo wrote:
30 Sep 18 13:52
Maybe relations will be included in a new version?!
I've made an update of the script for this, but because I had to support a storage for that in the scripter, I can't release it until the next release becomes available. If needed, please remind me after the next PSU update is released. tia

bimo

Post by bimo » 01 Oct 18 7:58

You'll bet :D ! Great and thank you so much.
Michael

bimo

Post by bimo » 27 Jan 19 20:24

As promised: I just checked the relations - they are not yet included...and what about the little icons/pictures in the labels' section? Missing as well...
Michael

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 Jan 19 9:24

You didn't remind me, and so the updated script was not yet submitted to the repository.
I now updated with that script

bimo

Post by bimo » 28 Jan 19 14:13

:shock: 8) :lol:

Relationships are now included! :D

What about the icons? ...perhaps? ...next version :?:
Michael

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 Jan 19 16:06

The script is updated again.

Username

Post by Username » 28 Jan 19 17:31

This is great!
Thanks Hert.
Got to do this ASAP when I get back home.

Perfect for testing and workflow refinement without touching the production DB.
- I'm the user

bimo

Post by bimo » 29 Jan 19 20:39

I'm deeply impressed: Icons, synonyms as well as descriptions for lables are now included - GREAT! Thank you very much.
Michael