Adding portfolio to custom field

Larry56

Adding portfolio to custom field

Post by Larry56 » 02 Sep 18 17:44

I have the field, Portfolio, displayed in my Info panel to help me keep track of which photos are uploaded to Smugmug. When I have portfolio I want to assign to a photo I select the option in the context menu. However, I just created a dynamic portfolio and now want to add the portfolio name but PSu tells me to select valid portfolio, which I have done (the dynamic one).

I assume it's because it's dynamic. Any suggestions on how to mark the photo as uploaded?

Hert

Re: Adding portfolio to custom field

Post by Hert » 03 Sep 18 10:38

A Dynamic Collection (a portfolio can't be Dynamic but a collection can be) is a collection for which content is defined by the conditions that you set for it in the details of the Collection.

If I understand correctly what you're trying to achieve then you'd like a Portfolio collection that display the images that you've uploaded to SmugMug.

What you could do:
1. Create a custom field (name it SmugMug)
2. Enter the value "yes" in this field when you upload it to SmugMug
3. Create a dynamic collection and define it to display all images that have DETAILS->Your Custom Fields->SmugMug with value "yes"

Then every time you open that collection you'll see all images that you've uploaded to SM.

Alternative is to do it manually by creating a standard collection and then add the image manually to that collection (like you do now)
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 04 Sep 18 1:54

Thank you. I like the idea of the SmugMug custom field.

Out of curiosity, can PSu custom fields be read by other software? I know some only read main IPTC fields, etc but a couple utilities I have will read all fields.

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Sep 18 6:36

Custom fields are written to the XMP metadata of your images.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 04 Sep 18 14:21

Larry56 wrote:
04 Sep 18 1:54
Thank you. I like the idea of the SmugMug custom field.

Out of curiosity, can PSu custom fields be read by other software? I know some only read main IPTC fields, etc but a couple utilities I have will read all fields.
ExifTool can read them. They display in the ExifToolGUI. I haven't jumped on the Lightroom subscription model (so i can't speak about that version), but up to that point: Lightroom "ignores" them: they can't be read, they aren't displayed. But very important: they aren't mangled. When I need the values in the custom fields to display in Lightroom, I use macros in a field that usually isn't populated and is displayed in Lightroom.
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 08 Sep 18 0:19

I have another, xnviewmp, can read more metatadata details too. I don't have installed on new computer yet so I'm not sure it will read custom but it does use exiftool for reading metadata and I know it shows more metatadata than others I've tried. I'm not using LIghtroom anymore so I can't comment on that.