PSU default categories?

RobiWan

PSU default categories?

Post by RobiWan » 11 Jan 18 16:20

Hi,

PSU comes with some default categories
People, Events, Places, Objects, Styles, Miscellaneous (Objects and Styles can be deleted, not the others).

Places can be automatically fill if image has GPS data and GEO location processing is set. But what about the other categories - can some from them fill automatically too? If yes how or what I have to do?

Hert

Re: PSU default categories?

Post by Hert » 11 Jan 18 22:11

PSU also writes the Events category with the Iptc4xmpExt:Event. The assigned catalog label that is within the Events category will end up in the Iptc4xmpExt:Event field.

And assigned catalog bels in the People category end up in the Iptc4xmpExt:PersonInImage field.

Both can be found in the IPTC Extensions section of the Image Details.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

RobiWan

Post by RobiWan » 11 Jan 18 22:27

Hert, thanks -I mean/ I hope I have understand. That sounds good

By the way - I have seen that in some Places/Cities (PSU) the GPS coordinates are set. Is it useful for everything to add it extra when my cameras write GPS data?

Hert

Post by Hert » 11 Jan 18 22:54

If you camera records GPS coordinates then that about all you need. You can get the details for coordinates using a reversed lookup and that will be more precise than a city database stored in the camera
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mke

Post by Mke » 12 Jan 18 11:51

Note that PSU can also accept a GPS trail recorded on a mobile phone, so you can still match up GPS coordinates with your images even if your camera doesn't record GPS data.

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 12 Jan 18 12:48

Mke wrote:
12 Jan 18 11:51
Note that PSU can also accept a GPS trail recorded on a mobile phone, so you can still match up GPS coordinates with your images even if your camera doesn't record GPS data.
Mke, how do you use PSU to match individual image files with the GPS coordinates that are recorded on a mobile phone?

Never mind, I just found it in the Quick Manual. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Android app that captures GPS trails?
Tom Stoddard

Mke

Post by Mke » 12 Jan 18 14:02

tstoddard wrote:
12 Jan 18 12:48
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Android app that captures GPS trails?
GPS Logger for Android

But note that GPS on mobile phones is only accurate to around ±10m or so. Often better, but sometimes worse, depending on the environment.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 12 Jan 18 20:05

Mke, not sure that narrows it down much - at least 4 apps with that name came up on Google Play! Who is the dev please?

I've tried a few free ones but not all of them played nicely with PSU (at least not without manual editing of the XML). I always use GPX files BTW.

Normally I use my Windows Phone for track logging (using "run the map" app) but I intend switching to Android soon so I'd also appreciate any recommendations.
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

Mke

Post by Mke » 12 Jan 18 23:03

Only 1 when I look it up - developed by Mendhak.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 13 Jan 18 0:58

Thanks Mke. I'll give that a whirl. Looks like a good one.

Would have come in handy back in June - going on holiday my phone fell out of my pocket in the taxi to the airport so i was phoneless on holiday - had to lug my 'droid tablet everywhere to track my walks and struggled to find a good tracking app. (Ironically I then found a phone whilst on holiday, which still hasn't been claimed!)
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------