Changing order of Collections within a Portfolio

Mike Buckley

Changing order of Collections within a Portfolio

Post by Mike Buckley » 13 Jan 16 23:47

We're supposed to be able to change the order of a Collection by selecting it and applying Ctrl+Up or Ctrl+Down or by right clicking and using the pertinent menu item. This has always worked very well for me but suddenly doing so completely freezes the application. I have to use Task Manager to close it and then restart it. At that point the Collection has been moved one step. I have two Collections to move from the bottom of a fairly long list of Collections to nearly the top. Doing so would literally take about an hour.

I think I have successfully changed the order of Collections using the latest version of Supreme but I don't think I have done so since upgrading my OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I would appreciate it if anyone can provide feedback about whether this issue is specific to Supreme or the OS.

Thank you!

tstoddard

Re: Changing order of Collections within a Portfolio

Post by tstoddard » 14 Jan 16 2:38

Mike,

I'm running Windows 10 Home. I can move collections without my machine locking up but strange things are happening. For example, I selected one collection and used Ctl+Up to move it up. It moved up 4 places but then wouldn't go any farther even though it was still 3 places from the top. I tried another collection and it only moved 3 places. I selected yet another collection and when I pressed Ctr+Up or Down it moved a different collection, one of the collections I had selected before. Then I tried moving from Portfolios back to Categories and back to Portfolios again and tried some more. This time unselected collections started moving and not always the same ones. It's very odd. I don't have any video screen capture software so I wouldn't know how to do it but if I did, I'd show it to you. There is definitely something wrong.
Tom Stoddard

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 14 Jan 16 5:07

Thanks, Tom. I reported it in Mantis at http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2955

Phrans

Post by Phrans » 14 Jan 16 9:23

My Photo Supreme also 'hangs' when I edit a portfolio or collection name.
Kind regards, Met vriendelijke groet,

Phrans

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 14 Jan 16 23:07

ctrl+up and down works for me with Windows 10 Home and latest PSu BUT sometimes the collection being moved jumps by TWO collections instead of one. It is consistent, when moved either up or down over two particular collections, both are jumped together.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 15 Jan 16 15:24

Phrans wrote:My Photo Supreme also 'hangs' when I edit a portfolio or collection name.
Same here. It also hangs if I add meta data and to try to save more than approx 100 images at the same time :(

Update:
Spent a considerable time in moving many files to an external drive, to make more free space on the internal drive which houses the PSu database. PSu now appears to be working normally.

*** My tip would be to ensure that you have LOTS of free space on your hard drive as PSu appears to need it.
Last edited by Stephen on 16 Jan 16 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 15 Jan 16 16:06

Phrans wrote:My Photo Supreme also 'hangs' when I edit a portfolio or collection name.
I don't remember ever doing that so I tested it. It also hangs on my system.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 15 Jan 16 16:11

Stephen wrote: It also hangs if I add meta data and to try to save more that approx 100 images at the same time :(
A week or so ago I added about 150 images to a Collection with no trouble. I did so by selecting the images, right clicking >> Operations >> Add to Portfolio Collection. What method did you use?

I also just now tested adding metadata to an image displayed in a Portfolio Collection using the Details panel with no problem. What kind of metadata did you add and what method did you use to add it?

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 19 Jan 16 12:50

It's good to know this issue of changing the order of Collections is fixed in the next update (build 2074).

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 16 Dec 17 17:52

Added to Mantis...

Its now December 2017 and it appears this problem hasn't been resolved. I'm on macOS 10.13.2, trying to reorder collections within a portfolio. The behaviour is erratic and I'm unable to get the collection into a preferred order. Perhaps bugs like this, and many other bugs, are because PSU is built on outdated software which is calling depreciated or non-existent APIs. Roll on PSU v4.
Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), macOS High Sierra, Photo Supreme 4, Lightroom Classic.

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Dec 17 15:23

This is because the default created collection is out of order. For now, the easiest is to delete that collection (even if renamed) and ordering collections should work fine.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 17 Dec 17 21:44

If by the 'default collection' you mean the first collection I created, I don't think that will help me. I've added scores of collection since then and I don't remember which was the first. Does this mean I'll have to delete all the collections and start again?

I guess the reason you haven't been able to fix this bug is for the reason I described above. To be fair, Photo Supreme is helping me to sort out the chaotic mess I managed to create in the past. I just hope your next release will take advantage of what current operating systems provide.
Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), macOS High Sierra, Photo Supreme 4, Lightroom Classic.

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 18 Dec 17 13:14

Here's an extract from the hierarchical collection structure I'm trying to maintain. For example, its impossible to move #06 up the list to make it appear above #06 Sources. I'm having exactly the same problem within all the other collections. In addition, its also impossible to move the portfolios up or down into an order that suites me. Living with such a large number of bugs, spinning balls, memory leaks, stack overflows, access violations, no color management and poor documentation (to name a few), is slowing my work flow to a near standstill.
Attachments
collections.jpeg
collections.jpeg (243.19 KiB) Viewed 1478 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 18 Dec 17 16:44

Can you try to run the script below with Tools->Scripter and then try ordering the collections again:

(best to have a backup available as it will do a direct database manipulation)

Code: Select all

var
  ADs: TDBXOMClientDataset;
begin
  ADs := Catalog.NewDataset;

ADs.CommandText := 'update idImageCollection ' +
                       'set ParentOrder = ' +
                            '( ' +
                              'select NewParentOrder from ' +
                              '( ' +
                                'select c.ParentGUID, c.GUID, c.CollectionName, c.ParentOrder, ' +
                                       '( ' +
                                         'select ( ' +
                                                 'select count(1) ' +
                                                 'from   idImagecollection c2 ' +
                                                 'where c2.ParentGUID = c1.ParentGUID ' +
                                                 'and   c2.CollectionName < c1.CollectionName ' +
                                                 ') as RowNo ' +
                                         'from idImagecollection c1 ' +
                                         'where c1.GUID = c.GUID ' +
                                       ') as NewParentOrder ' +
                                'from idImageCollection c ' +
                                'where c.GUID = idImageCollection.GUID ' +
                              ') as tblTemp ' +
                            ') ' +
                       '';
    ADs.Run;

Catalog.FreeDataset(ADs);
  Say('done');
end;
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 18 Dec 17 18:01

Hert wrote:
18 Dec 17 16:44
Can you try to run the script below with Tools->Scripter and then try ordering the collections again:
OK Hert, I've given it a 'try'...

17:03 Compact Database & Thumbnails.
17:11 Backup Database & Thumbnails.
17:14 Incremental backup of system disk using CCC incase image files get zapped.
17:26 Begin tests.
17:46 Test completed and write this report.

It appears your code has had the desired effect. I can now move portfolio collections up and down correctly. Immediately after running the script, I noticed all my portfolio collection were in alphanumeric order - a nice touch that would be nice to have provided as a user option (yet another keyboard shortcut?).

A big thank you for responding to my whining, although I was extremely reluctant to 'try' it. No doubt you will include this bug fix in the next release.

One more thing: It would be very nice if it were also possible to move the portfolios up and down in a similar way.

17:58 Almost an hour of my valuable time.