Better scripting manual?

acertain

Better scripting manual?

Post by acertain » 31 Jan 16 1:31

Is there any better resource for the scripting language than http://www.idimager.com/repository/docu ... lUnits.htm ? It's hardly more than a simple list of all the methods on the various objects - it contains very little semantic information about how the objects are organized, which methods do what, etc. I've been able to get by somewhat by looking at other scripts, but that only goes so far, and I'm completely stymied trying to convert some of the older scripts into the current object scheme. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew
Last edited by acertain on 31 Jan 16 1:44, edited 1 time in total.

PhilBurton

Re: Better scripting manual?

Post by PhilBurton » 31 Jan 16 1:38

acertain wrote:Is there any better resource for the scripting language than http://www.idimager.com/repository/docu ... lUnits.htm ? It's hardly more than a simple list of all the methods on the various objects - it contains very little semantic information about how the objects are organized, which methods to what, etc. I've been able to get by somewhat by looking at other scripts, but that only goes so far, and I'm completely stymied trying to convert some of the older scripts into the current object scheme. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew
+1

I would like to see a manual that assumes a basic level of skill and knowledge with procedural programming, but no knowledge going in of PSu's scripting language. On a related topic, I would like to see macros covered.

Phil
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

vlad

Post by vlad » 05 Feb 16 2:04

acertain wrote:Is there any better resource for the scripting language than http://www.idimager.com/repository/docu ... lUnits.htm ?
Nope, but you could trying gathering additional info by searching the forum or asking for help.
It's hardly more than a simple list of all the methods on the various objects - it contains very little semantic information about how the objects are organized, which methods do what, etc.
I agree. I am realistic and don't expect full documentation, that's a very long way off. However, a document covering the high level components and object/data model would be an excellent start. Then, incrementally documenting the API, starting with the more subtle methods and parameters, would be a welcome addition. I'm not holding my breath, though: truth be told, there are few of us who are interested in the scripting API anyway - and even fewer who are willing to contribute scripts for the benefit of other users.
I've been able to get by somewhat by looking at other scripts, but that only goes so far
Once again, I agree. (Don't get completely discouraged, however: I did manage to write a couple of working scripts, thanks in part to Hert providing a couple of helpful answers and hints.)

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 05 Feb 16 4:59

vlad wrote:
acertain wrote:Is there any better resource for the scripting language than http://www.idimager.com/repository/docu ... lUnits.htm ?
Nope, but you could trying gathering additional info by searching the forum or asking for help.
Once again, I agree. (Don't get completely discouraged, however: I did manage to write a couple of working scripts, thanks in part to Hert providing a couple of helpful answers and hints.)
How about this. If all the script-related questions and threads are assembled in one place, that could form the basis of a manual that addresses user concerns, that plus some high-level basics.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but I wish things were different. :(

Phil
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 05 Feb 16 11:03

There used to be an IDimager Wiki, but that disappeared into cyberspace quite a while ago...

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 05 Feb 16 18:40

fbungarz wrote:There used to be an IDimager Wiki, but that disappeared into cyberspace quite a while ago...
Frank,

Do you remember if the wiki was hosted on the idimager website or somewhere else.

Phil
Photo Supreme user

vlad

Post by vlad » 05 Feb 16 22:45

I'm wondering how many people contributed to that wiki and how useful it was. Perhaps those factors led to its demise?

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 05 Feb 16 22:48

vlad wrote:I'm wondering how many people contributed to that wiki and how useful it was. Perhaps those factors led to its demise?
If you contributed to that wiki, please raise your hand. :mrgreen:

Phil
Photo Supreme user

vlad

Post by vlad » 06 Feb 16 1:02

Hi Frank, did the wiki contain anything other than programming details?

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 06 Feb 16 3:13

fbungarz wrote:I did, and I found it quite useful...
:wink:
Anyone else? :mrgreen:

Phil
Photo Supreme user

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 07 Feb 16 1:03

Hi Vlad,
Hi Frank, did the wiki contain anything other than programming details?
It did not specifically focus on coding, scripts or the batcher. I guess Hert came up with the idea of a wiki and I can only assume he set it up, when people on the forum complained (as they still occasionally do) that the Help Manual is so scant.

The user forum with people like you and me discussing aspects of the program and Herd occasionally chiming in, providing detailed insider knowledge has the distinct disadvantage that searching help about a particular topic can be at times very cumbersome. Often the discussions go on across several pages and the informative tidbits are thus getting buried...
The idea of using a wiki, a more structured, more focused, regularly updated online manual I guess was supposed to change that.
Wikis of course need an enthusiastic group of contributors. And then they need some people who act as moderators, so contributors won't hijack it...

The reason for the demise of the IDI wiki I honestly don't know.
No, Phil, certainly not any other person on the planet ever looked at it :wink:
It was just an idea...

It is obvious that Hert does not have the resources to write an extensive manual, and teaching someone how to write code, scripts and using the batcher seems to easily go beyond this. Lots of very knowledgeable people here regularly contribute to the forum. It is in fact almost impossible to learn the in and outs of PSu without participating. I personally don't find it very efficient, but necessary. I would love a more structured resource that I could access to find answers to questions that I am sure have probably been asked quite a few times before, only the answers are elusive, buried. Easier to just ask again.
No idea if a wiki would be the answer. If people don't contribute much, sure it'll not be worth setting it up...

Frank

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 07 Feb 16 3:18

Frank,

About the idea of a "good" user manual. I've actually looked at the all the thread topics in this forum going back at least three years and selected probably 150 where I wanted to print out the entire thread. I have "full" Adobe Acrobat on my system as part of my job, so I created PDFs of all those thread topics. then I file the PDFs into different folders for different topics. This is my jackleg way of getting a better user manual.

That is an inefficient process, but at least it allows me to capture the combined experience of everyone on this forum. I would rather that we, as a group, ran a Wiki, even without moderation. Imagine, bear with me on this, imagine if we all first defined a "table of contents" for this wiki. And that Hert agreed to set up the wiki on his web site. No other work, just the setup.

Then, whenever someone has a question, they post in in the wiki, instead of this forum. And other people respond. Other times, someone might want to do the write-up for a section of the outline. Over time this wiki would cover a lot of the issues that most concern us.

in addition to helping us, this wiki might be a real resource for new users.

Imagine ...

Phil
Photo Supreme user

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 07 Feb 16 12:46

PhilBurton wrote:
fbungarz wrote:I did, and I found it quite useful...
:wink:
Yes, I did and I found it useful, not just for programming.

I also spent quite a lot of time maintaining it and trying to keep it clean.
One of the main problems was that the rate of vandalism (mostly by spambots) was so high that it was almost impossible to keep it clean.

It would be nice to have something similar again. Access would have to be seriously regulated, though.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 07 Feb 16 17:41

DirkS wrote:
It would be nice to have something similar again. Access would have to be seriously regulated, though.
How about if access is limited only to people who can successfully log on to the forum? Would that work?

Phil
Photo Supreme user