Problem with "build missing thumbnails and previews"

Hert

Re: Problem with "build missing thumbnails and previews"

Post by Hert » 10 Dec 15 14:01

Mike, check in FOLDERS if there are duplicate top levels (when using a custom top root level then disable that first to see all folders in the catalog).
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Dec 15 15:20

I have no duplicate folders when viewing the top level of C:\. (My top level is normally set to be the Pictures directory.)

Hert

Post by Hert » 10 Dec 15 16:52

Did you also disable any custom root folder? Right click on the top node
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Dec 15 17:53

Yes. My custom root folder displayed in Supreme is normally the Pictures directory. I disabled that so C:\ would be my root display.

Hert

Post by Hert » 10 Dec 15 19:15

Thank you for checking. That was the only thing I can think of that would explain that half your catalog have no thumbnails. Of course you should be able to see that yourself as with 15000 missing thumbnails (or previews) you should see many many of the empty thumbs that someone posted above. Do you?

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Dec 15 20:25

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have never come upon a situation when a thumbnail did not properly display. To help everyone perhaps come to an understanding of the situation being discussed, I just now spent 20 minutes reviewing one-third of the 30,000 images in my catalog. Every single thumbnail displayed properly. So, I can't justify taking another 40 minutes to review the remaining two-thirds of the images knowing with great certainty that all of them will also display properly.

Based on my nearly daily use of my catalog, it's incomprehensible to think that one-half of my thumbnails are missing. As far as I'm concerned the issue on my system is a reporting issue and it makes me wonder if the same isn't true for others.

vlad

Post by vlad » 11 Dec 15 11:22

Hert, I couldn't see any missing thumbnails either, but I still get a large number of items found by the tool. Is it possible for some image to have a well built thumbnail but to be missing a preview?

(I don't know about Mike, but I still have imported images that I haven't yet opened. Could that be an explanation?)

Hert

Post by Hert » 11 Dec 15 13:08

Vlad,
It's not possible to have a thumb without preview (unless you're using a converted database) because a preview is built and the thumb is built from the preview.
Thinking about this a bit more...could versions be the trigger for the build?

vlad

Post by vlad » 11 Dec 15 14:38

Hert,
I don't know if versions could be the trigger, but the folder view shows the thumbnails for all versions and I haven't spotted missing thumbs. Could you be so kind to run 'Build missing thumbs' on your catalog and let us know if it replicates our findings?

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 11 Dec 15 14:45

Hert wrote:could versions be the trigger for the build?
Of my 30,000 images, probably more than 95% are versioned. Supreme reports that I have about 12,000 version sets. That makes sense considering that I have 30,000 image files and that almost all of my version sets contain two images except for the sets that contain three or more images.

I've never noticed a version set that doesn't display properly, though I don't know if that's what you're asking.

Due to my schedule, I will be available to provide information about this topic much less frequently than usual through Sunday.