How you use tabs (new in V3)

freudenthaler

Re: How you use tabs (new in V3)

Post by freudenthaler » 30 Oct 14 12:31

Actually only the active tab will be saved (which of course is not necessarily the leftmost one). You could submit a feature request in Mantis if you would like this to change.
I've added a feature wish in Mantis in case someone wants to vote in favour : http://bugs.idimager.com/view.php?id=2559
Robert | glass stories | Fuji X | LR Classic CC | C1 | PSU 4+5 | Win 10/64 on i9-9940X |

george

Post by george » 30 Oct 14 16:31

freudenthaler wrote:I've added a feature wish in Mantis in case someone wants to vote in favour : http://bugs.idimager.com/view.php?id=2559
Done.
George

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 31 Oct 14 0:53

Morning,

Thanks for helping me better understand the new tab facility.

The only question that wasn't covered by a reply was the following
> I tried two tabs, one is for a folder and the other for a corresponding collection. When I switch between them I see that it takes longer time to go from folder to collection than from collection to folder.
For example: I have a folder with 34 thumbs and a collection with 16 thumbs. To switch from collection to folder takes me around 2 seconds and from collection back to folder is around 14 seconds. I would be interested to understand the difference in time and also if there is any obvious thing I can do to reduce the 14 seconds lag
Now when I have been trying out the new CATALOG ALL I can myself add a bit to this.

In CATALOG ALL I can now select BY PORTFOLIO and also FOLDERS and in them open the same pair of collection and folder I had open as two taps. Now I can switch between them and this did dramatically improve the lag. Going from folder to collection or from collection to folder is done instantly, I would say in about a second. So this is my own answers to my own question. And I am very happy with the result.

This means I now can drag and drop from a folder over to a collection and also that the switching between them is super fast. This finding is worth gold for me.

Regards, Harald

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 31 Oct 14 9:18

> I am not fully sure what the tab submenu RELOAD will do. What is reloaded and what is the main purpose of this menu? Maybe someone could give a typical example when it could be used
AFAICT it literally reloads / refreshes the info for the collection shown in that tab. I can't really think of a situation where that would be necessary, so I would also be interested in some more info on this.
When I wrote the above and had a comment I did not have an example but now I have.

A short time ago I wanted to check which thumbs had a recipe stored with them. Did such a filtering and found a bunch. I could easily see that some of the recipes were not required and removed them. A RELOAD then quickly took away those thumbs where a recipe had been removed. For me this is a valuable example and goes well with how I work.

Regards, Harald

lippe

Post by lippe » 01 Nov 14 21:44

An other tip how to use the tabs:
While i can access the labels through the Assignments panel, i prefer to open a new tab just to have the labels tree available to modify / rearrange labels without 'loosing' the images i have open in tan other tab(s). The Catalog explorer is linked to every individual open tab. Switching between open tabs is switching between different 'Catalog explorer views'.
Lippe,
Photo Supreme V3, LR6, FPV, PSE14 - vaio i5 @ 2.5GHz + 8GB , 850 EVO 500GB - WD 1TB - Windows 10 Pro 64 bits- DS216play - EOS 600D

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 01 Nov 14 22:14

lippe wrote: i prefer to open a new tab just to have the labels tree available to modify / rearrange labels without 'loosing' the images i have open in tan other tab(s). The Catalog explorer is linked to every individual open tab. Switching between open tabs is switching between different 'Catalog explorer views'.
I agree that that's very helpful.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 12 Nov 14 13:34

Two uses of tabs explicitly discussed earlier in the thread have been improved in V3.0.1.2055. The documentation indicates that we can now "drag and drop images to a tab that represents a catalog label, portfolio collection, rating, color label, file folder, some states." Also, "all open tabs are [now] persistent on restart."