Rebuild thumb/preview not interpreting orientation flag

calvin

Rebuild thumb/preview not interpreting orientation flag

Post by calvin » 12 Feb 14 17:06

It appears that the PSU "Rebuild selected thumbnail" does not re-interpret changes in the EXIF Orientation flag.

BACKGROUND:
I had a number of portrait-oriented JPEG images that were losslessly rotated but did not have their orientation flag updated to match (ie. from 6 to 1). After fixing these, PSU doesn't appear to allow me to reflect it in the catalog database.

TESTING:
With original files (containing incorrect EXIF orientation flag)

In Windows Explorer (doesn't interpret Orientation flag):
- Thumbnail is correct (ie. portrait)
- Opening image in Windows Photo Viewer is correct (ie. portrait)

In PhotoSupreme (interprets Orientation flag):
1) Thumbnail: incorrect (shown as landscape)
2) Opening image in PSU Preview (with "Full size image" disabled): incorrect (shown as landscape)
3) Opening image in PSU Preview (with "Full size image" enabled): incorrect (shown as landscape)
- The above behavior was expected since there was an incorrect orientation flag during the original Import

I then correct these images by fixing the EXIF Orientation flag (update from 6 to 1).
In PhotoSupreme, I still see the above rotated behavior.
- I would not have expected (3) to show the rotated behavior anymore.

I then use PSU to "Rebuild selected thumbnail"
- PhotoSupreme still shows the above behavior in (1), (2) and (3)
- I would have expected that all thumbnails and previews would have been correctly oriented now (ie. portrait)

This suggests to me that PSU is not re-interpreting the EXIF Orientation flag during a "rebuild"

The only way that I have found to get PSU to re-interpret the Orientation flag correctly is by deleting the images from the database and then re-importing. Of course this means that I lose all of the associated labels.

Is there a way that I can rebuild the thumbnail/preview to re-interpret the Orientation flag correctly?

Thanks for any help

Hert

Re: Rebuild thumb/preview not interpreting orientation flag

Post by Hert » 12 Feb 14 17:17

Orientation information is stored in Exif, but also in XMP. If you only updated the Exif orientation and not the XMP orientation then you'll still see the old, incorrect interpretation in PSU because PSU uses the XMP orientation if available,

If you corrected EXif and not XMP then you'll need to reconvert the technical metadata (Exif) to XMP.

Select one or more thumbs
Right click to open then context menu
Select metadata-convert metadata to XMP
Update the thumb with Ctrl-Alt-T

Does that help?

calvin

Post by calvin » 12 Feb 14 17:50

Fantastic! Thanks Hert... that appears to have addressed my problem nicely.

I had overlooked the fact that the XMP metadata provided by the camera phone also carried a flag used by PSU for orientation.

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 13 Feb 14 2:49

calvin wrote:The only way that I have found to get PSU to re-interpret the Orientation flag correctly is by deleting the images from the database and then re-importing. Of course this means that I lose all of the associated labels.
calvin,

You've already solved your issue but I wanted to point out that you don't necessarily have to lose all of the associated labels when you delete images from the database. There are a couple of ways in which you can configure the synchronization settings to enable you to save your catalog data in the files and then to read that data when you re-import them. You should have a look at the available settings. I haven't had to do this but my understanding is that if I check the setting to write catalog data to IDImager ICS schema in the write settings, the label structure and other catalog data will be saved to my image files (or sidecar files in the case of raw files). If I use that setting and I keep all of my files synchronized then I should be able to delete my entire catalog and then recreate if from scratch just by importing all files back into the catalog. I would need to set PSU to Read IDImager ICS schema in the read setting before I import my files first. It's best to leave that setting unchecked unless you need to recreate some or all of the catalog for best performance.

Writing Lightroom hierarchical keywords may also help you to maintain at least some of your catalog data but not necessarily all of it. Lightroom hierarchical keywords enable PSU to recreate the label structure for each image. The IDImager ICS schema saves more than just the label structure so it is a more robust method but may not help you if you ever wanted to migrate to a different DAM program. The Lightroom hierarchical keywords are more likely to be recognized by other programs but why would you want to use anything other than Photo Supreme to catalog your work? :D
Tom Stoddard