Recommended Label- and Synchronize- Settings

David Grundy

Recommended Label- and Synchronize- Settings

Post by David Grundy » 04 Aug 13 4:34

There have been a couple of threads about sync settings for specific purposes.
The manual also suggests some settings, but the version of the settings dialog in the manual doesn't appear to be the same as the latest version of the settings panel.

I use Photo Supreme as my only DAM, and I use Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop to edit images and create derivatives.
My database includes mainly DNGs and JPGs, with a relatively few older camera-specific raw file formats (which I will later convert to DNGs) and some PSDs.

I started PSu using a converted IDI5 database, and I would guess it brought the settings with it. So actually I probably have never seen the default settings in PSu, and anyway I don't remember whether I have changed them much since I started, and I don't know anyway whether the default is optimal for the case where I don't need to interact with Lightroom or other DAMs.

So, a few questions:
1. What are the recommended combination of label and synchronise settings?
2. If I change to those settings, what do I need to do to then make sure that every image file is updated to be consistent with those settings?

By "label settings" I mean especially: Should I routinely set my label definitions to automatically assign parent labels when the child label is assigned? (Currently most of my labels are set to also assign the parent automatically.) I suppose the answer to this might depend on the sync settings which is why I am asking these questions together.

BTW I note that in the synchronise settings, we have "Write delimited keywords (uncheck for simple keywords; DEPRECATED)". Is the whole function deprecated, or is the idea of unchecking deprecated? ie should I leave it checked (which sounds like it should be the default, since the instruction says what happens when it's unchecked) or should I leave it unchecked (since it's deprecated)?

My current sync settings:
SyncSettingsRead.jpg
SyncSettingsRead.jpg (60.61 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
SyncSettings.jpg
SyncSettings.jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
My usual label settings:
LabelSettings.PNG
LabelSettings.PNG (38.21 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
Any advice appreciated.
... David

Hert

Re: Recommended Label- and Synchronize- Settings

Post by Hert » 04 Aug 13 6:13

David, leave the deprecated option un-ticked. If you want hierarchical keyword information written to your metadata (why wouldn't you) then use the option to write Lightroom hierarchical keywords. This despite the fact that you are or are not using Lightroom as an application.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 10 Aug 13 9:58

Thanks Hert for that advice ... but could I ask for a bit more?

Let's assume I am always writing out Lightroom hierarchical keywords.

Read settings

1. What does "Always convert IPTC keywords to XMP keywords first" do?
If it's "first", what are the actions that come afterwards? In what situation does this option come into play? What happens if it's selected, and what happens if it's not selected?

2. If I always have Lightroom hierarchical keywords in the images files, do I ever need "Read IDimager ICS scheme (if available)"?

3. If I always have Lightroom hierarchical keywords in the images files, do I ever need "Map delimited keywords to hierarchical label structure"?

Write settings

4. If I always write out Lightroom hierarchical keywords, do I need to also "Write catalog data to IDimager ICS scheme"?

5. If I always write out Lightroom hierarchical keywords, do I ever need to "Include all parent level labels as keywords"? Is this something I should definitely do or definitely not do?

Bringing all files up to date

6. In the past not all my files had Lightroom hierarchical keywords written to them. And my options in the past (including Photo Supreme prehistory) may not have been consistent from time to time. How do I make sure every file in the catalog ends up with the metadata written according to my new settings? Do I have to select every file that has any metadata, and then "Save metadata to file" for every all of them? (I guess I would do this in batches.)

Grateful for further advice ...
... David

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Aug 13 12:25

Maybe I can help, David.
David Grundy wrote: 1. What does "Always convert IPTC keywords to XMP keywords first" do?
If it's "first", what are the actions that come afterwards? In what situation does this option come into play? What happens if it's selected, and what happens if it's not selected?
That setting has to do with your use of other DAM tools and whether they support XMP. When there is no XMP information stored in the image file, Supreme will only convert IPTC information to XMP information. If your third-party tool doesn't support XMP, you may want Supreme to check the IPTC information first. If you're not using another DAM tool or if you are and it supports XMP information, disable that setting.
2. If I always have Lightroom hierarchical keywords in the images files, do I ever need "Read IDimager ICS scheme (if available)"?
If everything that could possibly go wrong does go wrong, you could always recreate your catalog by reading the ICS scheme. (That's why you would want to configure the Write settings to write it that you asked about in question 4.) The ICS scheme stores all sorts of catalog information, not just keywords. So, if you needed to recreate your catalog and the only way to do it was to read the ICS scheme, you would enable the setting at that time. You would disable the setting immediately after recreating the catalog.
3. If I always have Lightroom hierarchical keywords in the images files, do I ever need "Map delimited keywords to hierarchical label structure"?]
Not in my mind. If you use Lightroom keywords, you're making the decision that you want to use a hierarchical system made possible by Lightroom's approach to keywords. (It's approach has to do with how and where it stores keywords.) There is no need to use a second hierarchical system, which is what a system of Supreme's delimited keywords is.
4. If I always write out Lightroom hierarchical keywords, do I need to also "Write catalog data to IDimager ICS scheme"?
Yes. I recommend that you always enable that setting because it stores a lot more catalog information than just the keywords. See my response to question 2.
5. If I always write out Lightroom hierarchical keywords, do I ever need to "Include all parent level labels as keywords"? Is this something I should definitely do or definitely not do?
Applying the same logic used in my response to question 3, you will never need to enable that setting because you have access to all parent labels through your use of Lightroom keywords.
6. In the past not all my files had Lightroom hierarchical keywords written to them. And my options in the past (including Photo Supreme prehistory) may not have been consistent from time to time. How do I make sure every file in the catalog ends up with the metadata written according to my new settings? Do I have to select every file that has any metadata, and then "Save metadata to file" for every all of them? (I guess I would do this in batches.)
That's what I would consider doing but I have never done it. I will eventually get around to writing Lightroom keywords to all of my files, so I'm interested in what approaches others would recommend.

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 10 Aug 13 12:59

Mike Buckley wrote:Maybe I can help, David.
Mike, as always, very helpful indeed. Thank you!!
The ICS scheme stores all sorts of catalog information, not just keywords.
--> This is the key info I didn't know. So writing out (and perhaps one day needing to read in) the ICS scheme makes sense even with the hierarchical keywords. I wouldn't have guessed!

The rest is basically confirming my guesses - that's very much appreciated.
I will eventually get around to writing Lightroom keywords to all of my files, so I'm interested in what approaches others would recommend.
Let's see what else pops up.

Thanks again
... David

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Aug 13 13:14

David Grundy wrote: So writing out (and perhaps one day needing to read in) the ICS scheme makes sense
I remember several accounts of people using IDimager who had no way to recreate a corrupt catalog if they hadn't written the ICS information to their physical image files. I don't remember seeing any posts about that by people using Supreme but that observation, even if it is accurate, is fundamentally irrelevant. For me, it's a very simple decision: It can't hurt to write the ICS information to the image files except that doing so might affect speed (I have no idea if it does). Having that information there might some day be a cataloger's version of a life saver.