Importing people tags from WLPG

sirobi

Importing people tags from WLPG

Post by sirobi » 07 Jul 13 11:04

Sorry for such a basic question ..
Trying out photo supreme.
Importing description tags from WLPG or Picasa has worked successfully. However, I have tons of people tags in WLPG which don't seem to show in PS.
Have others found this, or am I doing something wrong? thanks

Hert

Re: Importing people tags from WLPG

Post by Hert » 08 Jul 13 6:29

If WLPG follows industry metadata standards like IPTC and/or XMP then the results should show up in WLPG
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

sirobi

Post by sirobi » 10 Jul 13 17:16

Not sure that answered my question. If I add a tag in PSU it writes back a descriptive tag in WLPG just fine. It is the "people tagging" feature of WLPG that doesnt seem to import into PSU.
Was searching the internet and found this helpful post
http://photo.stackexchange.com/a/9910 so possibly the case that PSU cannot pick the people tags up. Is that something that IDimager could run a quick test on so you could give clear guidance? It would probably only take a few minutes.
Anyway, I tried another image management package too and same problem. So disappointing prospect lies ahead of retagging over 500 different people
sirobi

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 10 Jul 13 17:34

Sirobi,

A Google search for a script to ad WLPG people tags to keywords came up with a link to this forum entry:

http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16648

I don't know if the script that is attached ever worked for the original poster or whether the script could be modified to work in PSU but the thread is interesting and might lead you to some satisfactory solution.

Good Luck!
Tom Stoddard

sirobi

Post by sirobi » 11 Jul 13 16:24

Thanks Tom. I had seen this before and did copy the file across though it didnt seem to make any difference. Interestingly a further link in that thread to http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16328 implies this was also an issue in ID Imager, that perhaps never got addressed. As one of the posts says, it should be an easy test for the developers to replicate, to confirm whether or not something is possible.
I'm not sure if "If WLPG follows industry metadata standards like IPTC and/or XMP then the results should show up in WLPG" is just their way of saying it won't work?

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 11 Jul 13 17:26

WLPG uses an XMP schema that Microsoft defined some years ago. See the People Tagging Overview in the MSDN Library.

That's OK as far as it goes, but if you want to pass people tags from WLPG to another program, then the receiving program has to be capable of interpreting the XMP and displaying the results. PSU ignores the Microsoft XMP for People tags, and doesn't touch it.

There is no "industry standard" that has been widely implemented for People tags as yet. The best we have is the one proposed by the Metadata Working Group. That has been implemented in the latest versions of Picasa, but ironically, even though Microsoft is a founder member of the MWG, Microsoft still hasn't got around to implementing it in WLPG after nearly two years...
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

sirobi

Post by sirobi » 11 Jul 13 19:58

thanks Geoff that's very helpful. Sounds like distinct possibility that no package is going to be able to handle WLPG tags (at least for now). Simon

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 12 Jul 13 14:44

Simon, you might want to take a look at this blog entry of mine where I compare Picasa with WLPG. I look at various aspects of how they handle metadata. Bottom line is that neither are perfect.

It looks as though Picasa is able to read in WLPG People tags, and possibly use them to create its people tags in the MWG standard. However, I would advise caution, last time I looked at Picasa, it was still fairly flaky in this area.
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

sirobi

Post by sirobi » 12 Jul 13 23:43

Thanks Geoff - that's quite a blog and lots of discussion. Love the use of Energieweg as the sample photo. Have bookmarked to explore your other topics which look interesting.
Theres something about Picasa I cant quite get along with, so will continue to use WLPG and my work round will be to duplicate the people tags with the descriptive tags that other programmes can read. It not the end of the world, though rather tedious. Cheers, Simon