Relocate multiple labels

dwphoto

Relocate multiple labels

Post by dwphoto » 03 Jul 13 0:47

I want to relocate a number of labels to a new label. These are new client names, being parked under a clients label.
In V5 I could select multiple labels and apply merge or relocate.
How can I select multiple labels in PS - or is it not possible ?
Thanks, Dean

tstoddard

Re: Relocate multiple labels

Post by tstoddard » 03 Jul 13 1:17

It's not possible. That has been discussed and there is a feature request at http://bugs.idimager.com/view.php?id=1475. When I was first setting up my catalog, there were several times when it would saved me a lot of time to have been able to select and act upon multiple labels. I haven't needed that functionality in a long time so I haven't bothered to comment on it. Perhaps I'll do that now.
Tom Stoddard

dwphoto

Post by dwphoto » 03 Jul 13 2:07

Thanks for the reply - and bummer about the news. This would mean moving labels one-by-one which totally sucks.
How I work is to label my images in Lightroom and then have them imported into IDimager. New ones come in under the Miscellaneous Label, and I then move them to the correct destination.

I tried to look at that link you posted but it took me somewhere requiring a log-on and password. I wouldnt mind having a look at it if you can send a different link
Thank, Dean

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 03 Jul 13 2:12

Hi Dean,

I think you have to register with mantis in order to view the issues posted there. It's a pretty painless process, but, if I remember correctly, it requires a moderator to confirm your registration so it may take a little time.

The feature request is basic and you won't learn anything by reading it that you don't already know. The point is that if we want the feature request to have a higher priority we need to let the developers know that we are in favor of it. To do that, you need to register and add your own comment to the issue.
Tom Stoddard

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 03 Jul 13 7:08

Hi

I am not at my machine so this may be totally off track but...

I remember that when I clicked on a Top Level Item on the Left "tree" then "folder" items appeared in the catalog viewer on the right.

You can then select these "folder looking" items and, for example, delete them. So maybe you can drag them to a new Catalog Label ?

I remember doing this with Miscellaneous (keywords) a lot to delete spurious keywords that have crept in. It may not work with Catalog labels but could be worth a try.

When I get to a machine I'll check and follow up.

Regards

MikeP
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 03 Jul 13 11:42

Mike is correct. When you click on a category or label that has other labels under it in the label hierarchy, those labels appear in the main thumbnail viewing area as "folder looking" items (frames with smaller thumbnail previews inside them). You can select those "folder looking items" in the main thumbnail viewing area and drag and drop them to other categories or labels and you can select multiple "folder looking items" and do this. If all that you want to do is relocate labels then that should be a good solution for you.

Great suggestion Mike! Thanks!
Tom Stoddard

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 03 Jul 13 13:00

tstoddard wrote: ........and you can select multiple "folder looking items" and do this [drag and drop of labels].
I can't get this to work. Only one label out of a multiple selection gets relocated. Am I doing it incorrectly, or does it not work at all?
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Jul 13 13:23

I think he means to drag multiple sub labels that are displayed as folders in the Collection Viewer
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 03 Jul 13 13:50

IDimager wrote:I think he means to drag multiple sub labels that are displayed as folders in the Collection Viewer
I think that is what I have tried to do - select a label on the left, select multiple sub-label thumbs in the CV and drag to a different label on the left. Only one sub-label gets relocated. Design or bug?
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Jul 13 21:59

Jim, I've looked it up and dragging from the Collection Viewer only handles the (last) selected sublabel.

For the next version I've added multi drag/drop
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

space

Post by space » 04 Jul 13 11:12

Hi,

Glad this has come up. Hert, while working on the multi drag/drop can you please ensure that the folder or label can be dragged out of the dialog box - as in a sort of perpetual scrolling thing - both up and down.

For instance, if under People I have long lists of writers and poets and I've mislabel a person as a writer when he or she is a poet, because of the length of the writers list, I have found I cannot seem to "drag" this person's label beyond what is displayed of that list in that dialog box. Now its seems easier to use the "relocate" feature and move the folder or label. Again, another of these things that worked elsewhere but not in PSu. Hope this can be accommodated?

Rogan

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Jul 13 11:47

Rogan,

The drag/drop scrolling is already logged as a feature request.
Please post feature requests in Mantis at http://bugs.idimager.com

Hert