load full size always disabled

Mike Buckley

Re: load full size always disabled

Post by Mike Buckley » 28 May 13 14:16

mphillips wrote:the Full Size Jpgs' load almost at the same rate as using NEF's.
That is a huge surprise that defeats the purpose of creating JPEGs for the sole purpose of increasing the speed of opening them.
Also remember that the Ratings DON'T cascade from the JPG to the NEF - as far as I can see - so there would need to be some workflow adjustments / script invoked to make the ratings and colour labels that have assigned to the JPG go onto the NEF.
You could use catalog labels that are proxies for star ratings and the bookmark. They could be temporary or not. If they are temporary, removing them would be an increase to the overhead of your workflow.

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 May 13 14:58

mphillips wrote: and taking the performance hit when looking through images.
With Full Size loading the preview is loaded. I just tested it here and a full size D800 preview from a NEF displays within 1 sec in the Viewer with the "Full Size" option switched ON. What timings are you experiencing/calling "performance hit"?

BTW; a tip for those who doesn't like to switch on the Full Size option ON only when they need it...use the Lighttable, that will always load full size images
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 May 13 15:04

mphillips wrote:Also remember that the Ratings DON'T cascade from the JPG to the NEF - as far as I can see - so there would need to be some workflow adjustments / script invoked to make the ratings and colour labels that have assigned to the JPG go onto the NEF. Unless maybe I am missing a critical component here - like Cascade Ratings and Colours from JPG to NEF or a setup option ?
There's a tweak to enable ratings and color labels to apply to the complete version set. Weidmic has it documented on his web site http://picolo-photography.com/psu
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Ruhell

Post by Ruhell » 28 May 13 21:45

Use Ctrl+Alt+T on a selection of thumbnails
Ok, so I'll have to select every single thumbnail for this?
Is there a way to make/view the year folder flattened like in V5? If not, it is gonna take a looong time to open every datefolder for every year and rebuild it..

Rune

Ruhell

Post by Ruhell » 28 May 13 21:53

Ooops
I found the flatten folder by clicking on the number of total images to the right of my year folder - great :)

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 29 May 13 8:07

Hi Hert
What timings are you experiencing/calling "performance hit"?
I have tried to pull a movie together showing the difference in speed between the Built In Preview and the Load Full Size images. At the end I have also swopped across to ViewNX so that one can get a speed comparison from there.

http://mikeandmorag.co.za/idImager/Load ... Speed.html

As you can see from the Video - when using load full size images - the process is considerably slower - and seems to "stall" every few images - resulting a quite a long delay.

On an individual basis it maybe doesn't seems so long (
D800 preview from a NEF displays within 1 sec
) but when you want to quickly scroll back (or forward) three or four images to do a quick comparison with the viewed image and then back to the viewed image it does take a long time to load and get there.

It seems as though ViewNX does some sort of "progressive" load of the images - but even then the time lag seems small - and one can quite quickly "zoom to 100%" after the image loads on the screen.

I hope that this helps you understand why I feel that the Load Full Size seems so slow or seems to lag behind my keystrokes.

Thanks for the tip re LightTable - that does make it quicker to view - now I just have to get my brain trained remember the Shortcut Key. Is there any reason why there are no "grey forward and back arrows" in the lighttable ? Would you consider it if I put a feature request in for them ?

Thanks

MikeP
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme

mantras

Post by mantras » 29 May 13 11:09

mphillips wrote:
What timings are you experiencing/calling "performance hit"?
I have tried to pull a movie together showing the difference in speed between the Built In Preview and the Load Full Size images. At the end I have also swopped across to ViewNX so that one can get a speed comparison from there.

http://mikeandmorag.co.za/idImager/Load ... Speed.html
hi
i use canon and the i found the same slow speed with load full size image comparing canon software or others

i don't want to go off topic , so may i ask you only
Do you if you notice a short lag ? -> http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=22783

thanks
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows macos ,photosupreme 5, capture one 12 , photoshop