Drag Images to re-arrange

stevehughes

Drag Images to re-arrange

Post by stevehughes » 19 Jan 13 3:56

Hi,

Long time IDI user, just stated with PSU. I'm wondering if someone can show me an equipavlent in PSU to something I often did in idi:

Sometimes I am given groups of photos from a mixed range of sources (various cameras, some scanned prints, some slides etc). The image dates and filenames are all over the place and need to be massaged in a way that puts the images into a sensible sequence. In IDI I could bring them all into a single Portfolio Collection, then manually shuffle them around on the screen (with sorting set to 'No Sort'. When I was happy with the sequence I could then use the sequential re-date and rename functions to 'lock in' this sequence.

PSU has simlar re-date and rename functions, however it seems that PSU doesn't offer the ability to drag images around in the way I could in IDI.

Any ideas on how to handle this in PSU ?

Thanks,
Steve

Hert

Re: Drag Images to re-arrange

Post by Hert » 19 Jan 13 11:58

You can't customize the order in PSU
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 19 Jan 13 12:35

IDimager wrote:You can't customize the order in PSU
I don't understand this decision, Hert. If I am reviewing prints, I can easily change the order for increased viewing pleasure. If I am reviewing slides on a light table, I can easily change the order for increased viewing pleasure. But if I am using Supreme to review electronic images, I can't do that.

It seems that the philosophy is that we can use Supreme to easily find our photos but once we've done that, we can't use the software to easily determine the order to view them. What am I missing?

Sadly, this incapability remains on my list as a deal breaker for me.

stevehughes

Post by stevehughes » 20 Jan 13 11:40

Being able to re-arrange images in IDI has been a very useful feature for me.

It's true that it's also a great way to waste time because all the time spent in re-arranging the photos can be lost unless I then 'lock-in' the sequence by suitably redating and renaming the files. But it has been very handy to have the ability.

I'm coming to rather like PSU, but lack of this facility is a bummer for me.

I'd be very happy if this was to find its way back into PSU.

On a side-note, what does 'no sorting' actually do ? Unless PSU is going to pick a random order, surely it has to sort on some criterion ?

Steve.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 20 Jan 13 14:03

stevehughes wrote:Being able to re-arrange images in IDI has been a very useful feature for me. It's true that it's also a great way to waste time because all the time spent in re-arranging the photos can be lost unless I then 'lock-in' the sequence by suitably redating and renaming the files. But it has been very handy to have the ability.
Apologies to everyone for mentioning this in a thread about Supreme, but IDI will always retain the order of the images without renaming or re-dating them if they are being stored in a Portfolio.

stevehughes

Post by stevehughes » 21 Jan 13 0:11

That's true Mike. Until one accidentally changes from 'No Sort' to some other sort order. Been there, done that ... Arrgh :-) But I still appreciated having the feature.

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 02 Feb 13 11:06

I raised this topic not long after Windows PSu was released. I was able to successfully migrate my existing manually sorted portfolios from IDI into PSu & they retained that ordering so I was happy. But when I later tried dragging thumbnails around in Portfolio view in PSu it resulted in an unwanted version set with all labels for the 2 thumbnails being merged - that was my unwanted introduction to version sets. I suggested at the time it would be a nice enhancement if in the Portfolio view dragging thumbnails resulted in reordering rather than creating a version set - IMO the current situation is not very intuitive or useful.

stevehughes

Post by stevehughes » 02 Feb 13 11:54

Yes I too discovered that PSU wants to add a version when a thumbnail is dragged. I don't get the point of this. Not saying that there is no point - just that I don't get it. It would help me if someone could explain the intent of this.

But I still would like it if PSU could follow IDI's behaviour in this regard.

InTheFlow

Post by InTheFlow » 15 Feb 13 23:57

Has this feature request been added into Mantis yet? If so, please post a link for it so that those of us who would like it, can vote for it.

EDIT: It looks like this was added to Mantis by Mike Phillips. If anyone else is interested, please increment it by adding a note. I just add a '+1' if I don't have anything to add.

http://bugs.idimager.com/view.php?id=572